Notices

Is AWOL "Bad AA"?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is AWOL "Bad AA"?

I've been hearing people at my Friday night beginners meeting "talking up" this AWOL program that is supposed to help you get through the 12 Steps.
I made some inquiries and found that it starts in February each year at a church here in Ft. Liquordale with about 200 people that break off into groups of 30 or so. I came home and read some negative stuff on line about it. I am just over 3 months sober this time around. Previous sobriety dating back to 1987, with a couple of 5 year chunks of time, and a couple of 1 year bits of sobriety.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know, but LOL, I love the reference to FT Liquordale.....
Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't heard of it. Must be pretty new.

As for the detractors, you just never know. Doesn't take mush authority to start a blog.

Most of the church based recovery groups out there are focused on bringing in new members for the church and the sales pitch usually amounts to aa is bad because (fill in the blank). "Come do our easier stuff, stop going to that awful aa, and you will get the same result as the aa people".

The legacy of con artists shaking down alcoholics goes back centuries. I would go and check it out but keep my spidey sense on alert.

On the other hand you may very well find something that is very useful.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never heard it.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you have a link to what it is all about?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Do a search. I read some about it's history and I disagree with some thing and I agree with others.

Something mentioned in a post that in 1986 there was a "requirement" in AA to attend 90 in 90. Sorry, I was IN AA in 1986, no such "requirement" existed where I attended AA.

Another disagreement, a person needs 120 days (4 months) to be a member....I was homicidal and suicidal by day 12, so I wouldn't make it to that time unless I had a new solution, which I was freely given (offered on day 12, guided through the steps on days 14 & 15). After working the steps via the big book, why would I want to do AWOL? Doesn't make sense to me.

I DO agree with the statement I read about making an appointment for the 5th step gives one time frame in which to complete the 4th step.

and some other disagreements and agreements. I prefer what I was taught (don't we all?) and I will keep working the steps in my daily life for now. It seems to be working quite well at this time. History of AAWOL

Love & hugs,
Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

p.s. I've been around AA for 26 years and this is the first I've heard about AWOL
Old 08-25-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've never heard anything bad about it. I've heard you have to committ to it...And show up every week....Anything that focuses on the steps can't be all bad. Forget about the negative stuff you read....It's easy to find that....This program is all around the world and has helped millions...Myself included....That's good enough for me. I'm curious when you had your five year periods....I'm guessing you worked the steps?....Did you just stop going to meetings?...Get diconnected?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to sugarbear1 for the AAWOL link.
To answer Sapling first 5 yr. round with AA was 1987 to 1992 attending meetings mainly @ the West Broward Club in Plantation, FL. Then again in 2007 until sometime in 2011, yes less than 5 yrs. Worked the steps both times. And just like everyone else that relapes, "I stopped going to meetings".
To quote the Big Book in the Dr.'s Opinion: "There is the type who always believes that after being entirely free from alcohol for a period of time he can take a drink without danger."
The big problem with theabove statement is the word always.
PS- I didn't drink alcohol to have that relapse it was from the best drug dealer in town, the Primary Care Physician. (15 mg. Roxycodone-Qty 120 - take as needed for breakthrough pain). I told him I was an alkie, and he said "don't worry, I'll keep an eye on you.
My (new) addiction was making my p,ans for me at this point and calling all the shots.
It truly is solid alcohol.
"Here Johnny, enjoy this new BB gun but be careful not to shoot your brother in the eye"
"OK ma!"
Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That happened to a girl I know with 17 years...The doctor did a job on her. Sad. You know what you have to do....She's back at it. Sending some prayers your way,
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

AAWOL is interesting, looks as if an in-depth treatment plan approach with the AA program is applied to its clients.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

After reading the link I kind of like it.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know a few people that have done it....They used to offer it where I live...They seemed to enjoy it...But I think it fizzled out due to lack of committment.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BRD

Day 7 of Sobriety

clipped. meant to start a trhead. sorry
Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I prefer cranberry and soda with lime. Welcome to SR BRD....Is this a meeting that you really have to be there?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A BIG BUMP.
I just posted this in another forum:
In my very early sober time I participated in a NON AA 26+ week step study which included all AA members called AWOL = A Way of Life. It had rules like if you drank you were out and if you missed I think 2 meetings in a row you were out. It was quite intense and we were expected to share at each 2 hour meeting. It was sort of invitation only meetings but after + 30 years some facts are a bit blurred. I think it started in So. Boston and I have no idea how far it's spread. I'm about 80 miles from it's starting place and occasionally hear of someone participating in it still. It is led by AA people who have done the steps and are naturally sober.

BE WELL