Notices

New Here

Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

My first day here. I had tried to stop drinking many times before. Never lasted more than a couple weeks and usually just a couple days.I was a beer drinker. I never cared about wine or liquor. If no beer was available, I didn't drink the other stuff.
I know this time IS different.It is because I'm here, reaching out to others for the first time. I will not label myself an alcoholic because that to me is a state of being. It doesn't define me. I freely do admit to abusing alcohol and have had a problem with it. I hope to continue to stay sober and grow and learn here.
Thanks,
Sean
Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR STC71....It doesn't matter to me what you call it...I was a beer drinker too...It cost me everything and almost killed me...I had to get some help. Glad you are here.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's been a month now and I feel so much better physically and emotionally. I was tempted to think "it's been 30 days, I'm good to begin drinking again" That scared me ad that's when I looked to seek out others with similar struggles and follow those who have victories.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can tell you right now...When you cross that line...There's no turning back....And there is no good time to drink again...Congrats on 30 days...Hang on to it with your life.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site and congrats on your sober time! Keep on keepin' on, it gets better.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Sean! I agree with you re alcoholic issues not defining a person. You can quit without the labels. Congrats on 30 days!! Great news!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome

I like your attitude. It's good to have you here.

Good for you for your sober month.

You'll find lots of people willing to share here

All the best to you x
Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard, and congrats on 30 days Sean

D
Old 08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sean! Great job on your 30 days. When I found SR I felt so relieved, and less anxious. No one in my life understood what I'd been through and what a struggle it was. Everyone here got it, and it helped me to stay filled with hope and courage. I hope you'll feel the same!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

STC71 it's good to see you here. You are amongst friends. When I came to terms with the fact that I had a problem with alcohol (which was a long time before I would admit it to anyone else), I would not take my self to AA for one simple reason. You had to sit in a room and say to everyone there..... "My name in Jack and I am an alcoholic" Absolutely not!! I am not labelling myself that!! "It does not define me" I wasted several more years pouring the evil sh*t down my neck, wrecking all relationships whether at home or at work and in the end had to attempt suicide. I walked in to AA with the help a man who was asked to contact me and he picked me up and took me there after a long chat. I sat in that meeting shaking like a leaf and plucking up courage said "My name is Jack and I am an alcoholic...... because by definition that is what I am. I had a problem with alcohol. The relief I felt having said it and taken the opportunity to tell my story and to get so much understanding and support was absolutely fantastic. It was the last denial, the last obstacle that lay between me and success in giving up. Actually there is one other denial that goes with that one and that is.... once I have proved I can give up for (6 months?) I will be able to go back to normal social drinking!! Both of these will defeat you. Being labelled an alcoholic is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a disease!! The man who took me to that first AA meeting was quite happy to admit that he was an alcoholic who had not drank for 25 years and now I too am over that stigma that makes all alcoholics deny that they are alcoholic. I wish you well and promise you all the support I can give and I know I speak for everyone here. Good luck and keep chatting to all of us!!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MendipMan....What a great post.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome STC71!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Sean and congrats on your 30 days sober.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 30 days!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR! Congrats on one month!