Notices

It all started with the 6 minute mile

Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It all started with the 6 minute mile

I have a co-worker that has driven me into insanity. I lost my cool today.
You know the type of people who know EVERYTHING ? If you've done something well he went and did it a million times better than you. You know the type of person that interrupts you just when you started your sentence? Interrupts every time all the time?
He runs 6 minute miles. I was like " OMG, your like a freakin Olympian. That's so impressive. I can get in 9:30 or 9:45 minute miles. I'll run about 6 of those. Multiple 6 minute miles though? Really impressive"....... This guy is out of shape and its apparent that no one here is running 6 minute miles. I'm not a fast runner but I know a 6 minute mile person when I see one.....The war has begun.
So, I'm micro-managed to no end. I've been in the business for 7+ years. I'm well adjusted and understand what it is that I need to do in my job. I've been at this "new" job for 6 weeks. What I do is the same everywhere. It's different people but they have the same needs. 6 minute mile guy is adamant about micro-managing and basically putting a bad taste in everyone's mouth. While helping a customer today I was supposed to drop what I was doing and help him with another customer. I told him I would he there shortly. I'm not into bad customer service......blah, blah.....to make a long story short I ended up outside with this moron and my boss arguing. Not productive and very stressful. I thought we had resolved it by the end of the day. Right before we are about to go home I tried to make amend with this situation. I approached it with " Next week is a new week and I'm thinking we can start.......immediate interruption he says " I'm paid to deal with personalities and your personality is what it is. As long as you do what I say when I say it we will have no problems.....My boss brought up that this is a personality conflict. He rejected it and said " I have no personality conflict"
He is the ASSistant MANager of a very small outfit. Very small. So, I didn't drink. I was bright red with anger. Bright red. I wanted to light him on fire.
I don't like this person who takes managing to a level that no one needs. All in a health food store. :rotfxko
Old 08-24-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know its ridiculous. I know. He's a big pile of steaming dung.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

certainly a lesson in humillity to have to deal with someone like this managing you, especially in such a forced enviroment as a store.
I was once told by my bosses boss that i had to manage my managers better !

I try to use my front door as a magic portal where all tensions and frustrations of the day get lifted , come on to SR have a read and post with fellow alcoholics . listen to some classical music and go through my routine of cleansing and getting ready for sleep .

Bestwishes, M
Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My Runkeeper said I was doing 3minute miles yesterday hehe and of course it wasn't having a glitch

In order to try to get past the frustration with people who present themselves like that I generally just am grateful that I am able to not behave as embarrassingly as them, especially when sober Poor man - he just doesn't get it, does he? You do.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As one who has to work with a lot of know-it-alls, you have my sympathies. I've been struggling with one person in my department in particular. I recently came to the conclusion that it's okay not to be a fan of someone who has gone out of their way to be a jerk toward you. I came to the conclusion that my problem co-worker is really just more full of himself then out to get me. Still, it looks like you have enough insight into the situation to know that he's not worth it.

My short period of sobriety has helped me to understand that conflict with other people is inevitable and that drinking to relieve stress will only make matters worse. Stay strong, and work to find that peaceful place when you're back on your own time. I look forward to running some 9:30 miles in the months ahead. Hiking and running are a couple of the ways that I enjoy taking care of myself and winding down.

Thanks for sharing that. Venting feels good, doesn't it?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I used to work with the same guy. I'd mess with the guy by out doing his tall tales until it became obvious what I was doing. Like in response to the above I might have said, oh yeah I did that on a sunny day in July but I was wearing a backpack of weight plates and ski boots. Childish way of dealing with it but I had fun.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gincognito View Post
I think I used to work with the same guy. I'd mess with the guy by out doing his tall tales until it became obvious what I was doing. Like in response to the above I might have said, oh yeah I did that on a sunny day in July but I was wearing a backpack of weight plates and ski boots. Childish way of dealing with it but I had fun.
That is too funny....thanks for the chuckle...
Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can you transfer to another store? Get another job? Quit?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Perhaps you and Mr. 6 can go jogging?
J/k.
watta jerk, congrats to you. I hate people like that too
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is a book that I found useful, especially for situations like this one. It's called "Awareness" by by Anthony de Mello. It's not one of those "attract-what-you-want" type books, it's a book that simply opens your eyes. I found it very useful, especially in situations that I cannot control, like the one you vented about above.

It's a short and easy read. Consider it. It's an eye-opener, to be sure. You can get a used copy on Amazon for a few dollars.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I know its ridiculous. I know. He's a big pile of steaming dung.
I may need to borrow this thought to get through dinner with my sil tommorrow without slapping her!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What an absolute tool !

xxxx
Old 08-25-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LDT

I like Fandy's idea. Invite him to go jogging with you.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

very annoying, very frustrating.

I started by using something I learned early on in recovery. To acknowledge that other people have issues (and even addictions...sometimes of personality) like I do. Then, I can choose to either let it go, say a prayer for them, silently wish them well, whatever approach is authentic for me.

Then I learned that the best way for me to handle it was with integrity, and honoring myself. No matter what, I was going to be who I truly am. Not letting them and their choices determine MY behavior. Choosing how I was going to act, rather than reacting to them. Boy oh boy, I found out I have a lot of knee jerk compulsive behaviors!

I'm no saint, nor zen master. I get plenty worked up, hurt, and angry at the behaviors of others, but applying the above practices help ME. They don't do a darn thing about the behavior of the other person, but they move me forward, and insure that at the end of the day I haven't disrespected who I am.

Blowhards are gonna blow? Am I going to use their wind to turn my windmill, or am I going to let them blow me over like some personality hurricane.

It totally sucks when they are in a position of authority, or when it's clear they are trying to get me riled up. But in those situations it's been even more critical for me to be true to ME.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone,
Thank You! Thank You! Thank YOU. I went to bed in a horrible, stressed mood. I have always had issues with overbearing people. My reaction is to basically do anything that I can to get out of the straight jacket that I am being put in. My reaction to the situation is not helping.
This BOY does not care what anyone thinks including his boss. His management style is very questionable and I think it would be productive to put him in a class. Give him training. Maybe because I am strong and capable he feels threatened? Maybe he is just a tool?
Im going to check out that book iwill. THreshold, I gotta a lot of learning to do here. I did let this "know it all" determine my behavior. I blew it big time. I was on serious melt down. Sirens were going off. I can not get a job elsewhere for the time being. Stability is very crucial for me considering that i just moved. Conflict is a part of life. I need a new way of dealing. I appreciate all the replies and the humor. I need it right now.
I know that I got a lot of growing to do in this. There is a lesson here. Two facts that I can state:
1) There are jerks in every place.
2) No one here is running 6 minute miles!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your two last statements say it right good luck!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I let God handle people like that. I give them to my God Box. This is how I do it: I write down "I give my relationship with ____ to you God, I can't handle it my way, so I give it to you to handle it your way." And then I put it in my box and walk away. 100% of the time it get's handled. He may become fired, or get transferred, or I may have a revelation about what it is that bothered me so much, etc....
My kids are dealing with a friend that is just like that. He is so annoying!! They don't hang with him anyomore, but it is hard when you are an adult and you have to be around them!!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The funny thing about this is my bosses reaction to his 6 minute mile. I was in the office the other day and my boss said " I got on the treadmill yesterday. I wanted to see what i could do and I busted out 6 minute miles like nothing. I did 9 of em. Piece of cake"... (something like that)....We were laughing.

I might be able to pull that off if Freddy Krueger was chasing me!!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Soon enough though Id be caught by Freddy's hand. We all know how that ends.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I run 9:30 miles too, and I actually have a boss (nice one thankfully) who actually does run 6 minute miles. He does look the part though. Very thin.

Anyway, I would like to suggest that even though this guy might be a blowhard and an idiot, it sounds like he's at least somewhat in charge and you have only worked there six weeks. Who do you think is going to win that battle in the end? You don't get to choose who you work with. You don't have to like them. But you do have to be professional if you want to stay with the job. Just saying...