Notices

Starting Over.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Over.

Hey all,
My name is Mike I'm 26 and have been heavy drinking for almost 10 years. I have only tried to quit 1 time before and made it almost 4 months before I felt that I could have "just one". Needless to say it has been almost 2 years of drinking since then. I have recently had a child (6 months) and have realized how much I am hurting myself and my family. This is my 4th day sober and it has been really hard, but I'm not giving up this time. Reading all of your posts has really helped make today go bye better than yesterday,and has given me a lot of good ideas and incite about how to try and overcome this HUGE challenge. Thanks in advance for your support.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome to SR, Mike. glad you're giving it another go. it was hard for me to accept that i couldn't moderate my drinking. i'm at about 6 months now and the idea of moderation is so alluring but the fear and almost total certainty i have of relapse is keeping me on the path. it is possible (and even pretty easy) to live a fun, fulfilling life without alcohol. the important thing is to not focus on what you're giving up but on what you're gaining. you're gaining a healthier lifestyle, mindset, outlook on life and so much more. i hope you find the support and advice you're looking for here. this is a good place with great people. i'm glad you've found us!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Great decision Mike. It greats easier with time - trust me- The first few weeks are the hardest. Keep it up
Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mike

When it gets hars, just remember how much you want this. Keep reminding yourself of the lows that drinking brings. Soon you will be experiencing the highs that not drinking can be xx
Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, to have the power to give up, I had to just admit I was powerless over that first drink. Weird.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! It's so great that you are here!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mike

D
Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and good for you for getting through those 4 days. They're probably the hardest. You can do this! Don't doubt yourself. It's a huge challenge but it's one that many people have overcome and all it takes to join those people is to not drink that first drink. Wishing you all the best. Keep posting - there's so much support and understanding here.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today is going to be tough I cook for a living and as most people know the restaurant industry is pretty stressful and it seems like everyone is drinking after work. I'm gonna keep my head down and power through it. Thanks for all the advice and encouraging words.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Mike ,
i have no power over alcohol once i let it into my body once the die is cast i might get lucky and stop or this might be the time snake eyes rolls and i have that fatal stroke , I'm as poweless as i am when there is a buliet flying towards me, you just don't know .

I remain very mindful of this, every morning i'm thankful that i didn't surcome the day before, i don't want to be another sad alcoholic story, i will be a alcoholic sucsess .

Bestwishes, M
Old 08-25-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike and congratulations on becoming a father......an excellent reason to be sober My daughter worked in the restaurant industry too and there is a lot of drinking to unwind. Maybe you could go home to your family after work....peek in to see your baby sleeping Again, welcome!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I made it through the work day without drinking. =) Today was really hard I just hope it gets better with time like everyone says. I don't know if it is just me but I noticed I was really snappy today and I got irritated at everyone for no big reason. I think it was because at the end of the day we usually get a few beers while doing closing duties and I knew it was coming and was trying to get out as fast as possible as not to have the temptation. I hope it is better tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was very on edge the first few days when I stopped. I was easily irritated. It got better after three or four days and much better after the first week. Hang in there
Old 08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mike. You're so right - the hospitality industry is a challenge when we're trying to quit. Hopefully, you'll feel so much better without it that you won't be tempted to go back to your drinking days. There is life after alcohol - you don't need it, we promise.

Congratulations on your new baby. You'll be a wonderful sober dad with a clear head.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sure wish this nausea would go away.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Mike!

Getting sober felt strange and scary at first, so be good to yourself during this time. Take it a day (or a minute) at a time and keep reading/posting!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mike and Welcome,

You're making a good choice for yourself and your family.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting tonight. To my surprise it was not as bad as I had anticipated. It's nice to have people around you that are striving for the same goal.The one thing I was not to fond of (Not to offend anyone's beliefs)there was alot of God talk which just isn't my cup of tea. I was nervous at first but I grew more comfortable (not to the point of sharing) and enjoyed my time there listening and learning. Here is to a sober future.