First night out

Old 08-24-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First night out

hi there looking for advice.
I have been sober now with my big plan in place for 3 months. I have a night out for dinner and drinks that i cant get out of, a closest friend is moving to australia. the three people Im going out with are very heavy drinkers and one is adamant about getting others around her to drink. As i have decided i dont drink now I see no reason not to go !!!!! but then my mind floods with doubt. i tell myself this is my addictive voice and feel better again. Im looking for any advice on this please. thanks in advance Linda xx
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi Linda
I can only speak from experience. I'm ok going for a meal in a pub, as long as I don't have to stick around too long. I have nearly a year but I don't feel completely comfortable with drunk people. I find them irritating (I was never like that surely, haha!!!) Its honestly up to you whether you feel your resolve is strong enough to risk it. 3 months is fantastic. You will feel proud if you go and don't drink
Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You don't sound very comfortable with it & I think at 3 months that's a good thing
It's ok to stay home. Changing plans is your right. If you wanted you could make plans to have a lunch or breakfast or coffee with your friend to say good-bye & wish her/him well.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

one is adamant about getting others around her to drink
I'd probably take a childish satisfaction in utterly thwarting her throughout the evening.

I am what I am, and I do what I know is right, not simply mirroring what other people are doing, or what others tell me to do

Have a great evening Linda

D
Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That really made me smile Dee x I think you have a wonderful outlook on life x
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Linda

I was trying to answer from my very limited understanding of an AVRT perspective...

but like others have said, on a common sense level, if you don't feel ready for this, there's no compulsion on you to go either...

If you decide it's too much too soon and you can't arrange other get together now, there'll still always be other dinners and get togethers.

Do whats best for you

D