Notices

Nervous About Tomorrow

Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous About Tomorrow

Well, I'm at Day 4 and feeling okay but letting the mind wander. My band is playing a big music festival tomorrow and I know it's going to be hard to resist drinking back stage with all the other bands (and friends). Ugh, I keep telling myself to stay strong and then another part says, eh, you can go ahead tomorrow and then start again. Then I think of how much I'll actually enjoy the rest of the festival and morning after if I abstain. Ugh, the life.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm going through the same emotions right now. Dinner out with friends tonight and a party tomorrow, a concert on Sunday

I keep thinking - Oh I can have a few and start again Monday. But I also know I won't have a few and I'll just miss or not enjoy most of my weekend because of the hangover. So I have to give it my best try and I hope I succeed

I wish you the best of luck in abstaining (and with the gig)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it goes well for you.

I would not have been able to do that in early recovery.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RiverFriend View Post
Well, I'm at Day 4 and feeling okay but letting the mind wander. My band is playing a big music festival tomorrow and I know it's going to be hard to resist drinking back stage with all the other bands (and friends). Ugh, I keep telling myself to stay strong and then another part says, eh, you can go ahead tomorrow and then start again. Then I think of how much I'll actually enjoy the rest of the festival and morning after if I abstain. Ugh, the life.
Write out all the benefits of staying sober, make a gratitude list too, if you need. slip it in your pocket when you go-if you have doubt-pull it out and read..And do what you need to do to stay sober-even if it is excusing yourself from the after party-after you made an appearance (I don't know if that's possible) Or maybe you could wear something that would remind you of your commitment-doesn't have to be symbolic to anyone but yourself. I have a bracelet that has an elastic in it-i snap it when I need to remind myself not to think a certain way (I know weird-but it helps me)

You really can do this, 4 days is amazing.. think about it! My first week was sooo hard-then I started going to AA meetings...But you got this! HAVE A BLAST playing your music and don't give up the fight!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement and good luck to you as well TTBABP!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And thank you for the ideas Candi. Those things really do help me remember what it's all about and what I'm trying to do. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Riverfriend:

Last week somebody faced the same thing you did, except she was in the audience not the band...hope her experience gives you a boost in confidence:

Originally Posted by 773niki View Post
Wow. After drinking for almost 10 years (daily, living off vodka shots and fumes), I became sober in August of 2010 for 4 months after a stay in rehab. I have been on and off the wagon for the past 2 years. (typical: 4 months on, 1-2 week binge followed by guilt and self-loathing, repeat cycle).

Anyway, been sober again for almost 2 weeks and decided this is it for me. No more drinking. No, Niki, I cannot control it. I have tried for 2 years - get the picture!!!

BUT, long story short, I love live music and have been avoiding shows for 2 years (along with sporting events and anything that involves a bar, which for a 28, 29 and 30 year old girl, is quite hard). BUT< ON SATURDAY, I went to an all day concert (was outside at the festival/concert from 1pm to midnight) with my boyfriend (who doesn't drink because I don't drink, very supportive guy, gotta love him) and 4 other friends who did drink all day and night long.

I was the designated driver - can you believe that? And I actually had a good time! Could you believe that? I couldn't believe that!

I thought I would be miserable. I thought I would act like a bump on a log. I thought the drunk people (and people in general) would annoy me. I thought I would be salivating the whole time. I thought I would want to go home after an hour. Now, don't get me wrong, I thought about alcohol alot, watched how many drinks each of my friends had, watched them double fisting draft beers and mixed drinks in an effort not to have to wait in line again...and I had alot of fresh lemonade, waters, and smoothies. I cannot, and I mean I CANNOT believe I had fun! It's amazing.

I danced a bit (it was folksy rock music, so it wasn't mosh-pit hip hop or anything nutty like that). I laughed. I had fun. And these weren't even my friends we went with - they were my boyfriend's friends - so I hardly knew them and I've ALWAYS used alcohol as a buffer and as a social lubricant because I don't know how to be "me" but I figured it out on Saturday.

I am so thankful I tried this and succeeded. I've never felt more alive and happy in my life. I honest to god did not think I would be able to do this and have fun. And I did have fun! I've almost locked myself up for 2 years, afraid to be me, afraid to go out because others drink and I Was so afraid of what they would think of me not drinking.

Will they think I'm a loser? Only dorks don't drink. With they think I'm a crazy person? People who don't understand alcoholism simply don't understand it. What do you mean? You're a 30-year old smart, pretty girl? Just stop after a few beers! Haha, yeah right. Been there, tried that, doesn't work for me.

I's sorry for the rant guys, I just really didn't believe I'd have any fun and it's so empowering knowing that I can do this.

Don't get me wrong, half of me still thinks I could've potentially had a bit more fun with some alcohol in me, but the icing on the cake was waking up at the hotel the next morning, me and my boyfriend bright eyes and bushy tailed, ready for breakfast - and seeing our 4 friends hungover as hell.

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Slim Slim....yes, good reminder. I saw that post and was good to read again (I can certainly relate). Anyway, I've made the decision not to drink tomorrow and know I can do this. I know it's "just for today" but think it this situation, it should also be "and just for tomorrow" haha. My wife and baby will be going and I've decided I will be driving the bus. It seems like when I take on responsibilities, I can really commit myself to those things and put before drinking. Thanks again all.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

As a musician I always played a lot better sober

As for afterwards - do you really need to stay for the rest of the Festival, RF?

D
Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Dee74,
So true on playing better sober....when we were much younger and starting out we'd get pretty blitzed on stage and no one wants to see that. As we grew, we put a 2 band rules in place 1) One beer limit per opening band and 2) no one goes to jail. It's worked for years.

But no, I do not have to stay and might leave early. It's an outdoor camping festival with about 30 bands, many of which are friends. My wife and I decided to play it by ear and if it's too crazy, we'll trek home. Have a good and safe weekend everyone.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm convinced a full sip would lead me back to Hades.....

I don't drink. Simple.

Stay strong and make some great music!