OT...laptop owners, I need suggestions...

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT...laptop owners, I need suggestions...

This Acer laptop my brother gave me gets hot fast! I need to know what kind of cooling pad to consider buying for it, and my budget is very limited with all the months AD was in my home.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't own a laptop, but was just wondering if there was some way you could prop it up so that it doesn't sit directly on the surface of the desk or your lap or whatever you have it on?

Check this out...

Amazon.com: Laptop Notebook Cool Pad w/ 3 Fans: Computers & Accessories

Oh, heck! I just saw that this ships from Hong Kong!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you leaving it pluged in all the time? Maybe try battery up while charging and unpluged while using. They do get hot I dont use a cooling pad just those two rules of thumb. Good luck Freedom
Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

If you don't want to spend any money, take a look at this.
Cheapest laptop cooler in the world! using plastic bottles?!?!?!?!?!? - YouTube

It would worth a try for sure!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hey! He stole my idea!!! :rotfxko
Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's a great idea, Paperdolls, cheap and it just makes sense.

I use my laptop mostly at the dining room table because I have such a lovely view of outdoors and it's handy. I put a cotton quilted place mat underneath it, more to protect the table from heat than anything. But I don't overheat ever and my table stays like new as well.

Good luck, I'm sure there are many inexpensive ways to let the air flow.

Hugs
Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes laptops overheat because the air vents are clogged. Unplug it clean the vents on the bottom with Dust Off.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I use the one Cynical posted for you, but I did get it in grey as it was cheaper!!! lol

Works great.

However, for now, that video sure had a good idea and you could try that first to see
if that solves the problem before spending the 18.00 for a cooling pad. And if you
don't have Amazon Prime (I do it is worth it) then you have to pay shipping too.

So, I hope the bottle caps work for you!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((DeVon)) - I don't have a cooling pad, but what I have is a metal stand thing that the laptop sits on and I can set it at different angles..i.e., how tilted I want it but even at the lowest level it's at least 1-1/2 inches elevated and is kind of like a mesh. I got it at walmart, I think. I know dad has one with a fan in it but don't know where he got it or for how much.

I put my old laptop on the bed for the first 3-4 years, before my computer dude and cousin (computer guru) told me I could "fry it" and I'm really surprised I didn't.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Now I just tried something here that works great, lifts the bottom of the laptop up about a half inch off the surface and holds it solid while I type...4 rubber coasters, one at each corner. I suppose if I had more coasters, I could even stack them two high. Works like a charm and cost nothing...except I may need to buy new coasters now that my old ones are "in use".

I can hardly take credit, the bottle cap guy gave me the idea.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Freedom, If the cooling fins inside the laptop are covered in dust and/or hair, the cooling pad will not work. Many Acer's have an access panel on the bottom thaat will expose the cooling assembly for the processor and the GPU if it comes with a discrete GPU. If you know someone who can do it, the best way is to remove the cooling assembly, clean the radiator, then repaste the pad back to the processor. If you don't have someone to do that, then simply use can air to blow out all the dust. Be careful not to damage the fan by spinning it up. I would not recommend using a vacuum cleaner due to static. Also, once you do open the bottom, just momentarily touch the chassis to discharge any static.

Most laptops are designed to run fine without a laptop cooler although those are great to keep the intake vents clear when using them on your lap or any other uneven soft surface. Cleaning out the dust from the radiators will drop your temps considerably.

Google your model number for a manual if you don't have one and it will say if there is an access panel. Simply blowing can air into a vent from the outside of the laptop just pushes the dust back into the laptop and the fan will just send it back to the radiator.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks! I do have it off the desk now with props on the sides. I'm definitely going to see about getting it cleaned if there is dust/hair inside. as it is, it runs like it's on dial-up from the get-go and is driving me crazy! I have DSL!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
I have a really really bad habit of sitting on my bed while using my laptop, and of course it can't breathe. But, I've found out the hard way that Dells, HP's, and Acers all overheat. Dell being the worst.

Amazon.com: Logitech Cooling Pad N100 (Dusty Rose): Electronics

I have this one made by Logitech (in pink of course) for my Acer and really like it. It's about a year old and still does the job.
Just ordered it. Thank you so much!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
This Acer laptop my brother gave me gets hot fast! I need to know what kind of cooling pad to consider buying for it, and my budget is very limited with all the months AD was in my home.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't know where you are, but if you have a Big Lots by you they have a laptop cooling pad for $10 bucks right now.

Passion