Notices

I want to live...

Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I want to live...

I am 4 days sober, going cold turkey was ugly and messy but that was the easy bit, now is the hard part to stay sober. I know I can do it because I went to AA for two years,
Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....If AA worked for 2 years...I imagine it would work again. It works for me. I always ask....Did you just stop going to meetings?...Thought it was OK to go out and drink again?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it is far easier to stay in AA than to come back ....

I know I've got another drunk in me but I’m not so sure I have another recovery.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's awesome! Just think about the possiblilities now... everything else will be so much easier in comparison.. Best wishes for you friend!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It started with a few cans at the weekend, and that went to all the time I was awake, I stopped going to AA because of the 12 steps, I was not going to share my bad things I have done to my sponsor, she was ok about it but then said she could not be my sponsor no more. I am going to realy try now, I have just lost my two 12 year old girls because of drink.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Shelagh, I hope you surrender this time. Commit to AA, don't straddle the fence. AA will be your salvation.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sharing your step inventory is simply to get it out. As I tell my sponsees, you can con yourself, but it's a lot harder to con someone else. That being said, there's nothing saying you have to do your step 5 with your sponsor. You can use anyone for it, including a priest or minister. You can use a paid councillor too and one of the reasons they're paid, is for their confidentiallity.

It's also important to remember that a step 4 is also not just about our bad things, but our good as well.

In any case, welcome back.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Shelagh.

Sorry to hear you have lost your daughters.

Hope you get back to AA and work through the steps with a sponsor.

Wishing you well..
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
It started with a few cans at the weekend, and that went to all the time I was awake, I stopped going to AA because of the 12 steps, I was not going to share my bad things I have done to my sponsor, she was ok about it but then said she could not be my sponsor no more. I am going to realy try now, I have just lost my two 12 year old girls because of drink.
I had to find someone who I trusted as a sponsor and I have to be honest here, it took 3 before I found my current one-she's exactly what I need. She calls me on my B*llsh*t, but loves me so unconditionally. I'm having to work on me and my daughter having a relationship and we are still in the same house... It's been tough.. I'm sorry to hear about your girls, but let me tell you, things can be restored-never give up hope... Maybe it would be a great Idea to get a sponsor who had to overcome the same obstacles in life. I'm so glad you are on the right path..
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
I'm sorry about your daughters...That doesn't mean you can't get them back...I've seen that enough in this program. For me...Those things I didn't want to share were what kept me drinking...We're only as sick as our secrets they say. Doing that fifth step with my sponsor was freedom for me...I haven't done anything any different or worse than anyone else...Sending prayers your way for strength and honesty. I'm glad you are here.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For the first couple of years in AA I viewed the 12 Steps as the penalty I had to pay for being an alcoholic.....

Later I saw them as an opportunity for a new and better way of life.

Same Steps .... different approach and attitude. It became a privilege to work the Steps, not a PITA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Shelagh

D
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you, I have got the first week over with no drink, I have never seen the house so clean, even my girls are popping in and out, they came round and gave me the biggest hug ever, I love them so much they are my baby girls x
Old 08-27-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your week

D