Notices

My Story

Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story

I am a 25 year old male. I never drank before I turned 21. I eventually became legal in terms of being able to purchase alcohol and decided to buy my first six pack of beer. From that point on I started to drink regularly. The beer phase did not last long maybe a few months. I purchased my first bottle of 80 proof vodka before my 22nd birthday. I would binge drink on my days off from work. I would go about 10 shots deep. Little by little I seemed to be making reasons to drink even when I was working the next day, such as "oh I start in the after noon i'll be fine". Eventually that turned into binge drinking just about every night. So basically 3 years I have been binge drinking on the regular.

No one knows I am an alcoholic because when I would drink it was usually at night at home. No one, atleast to my knowlege knows how much I did infact drink.

The drinking ruined my last relationship because I would usually feel the urge to end the evening so I could go home and get drunk. She did not know that was the reason. If she did, the relationship would have ended really early on.

I tried quiting a few months ago uncessesfully and relapsed. When I quit I was having the worst headaches and loopyness and I broke down. I would think "I can't wait to get home and have a drink"

Since that failed attempt I reenorlled in school and have quit drinking. I no longer feel the urge to drink, atleast not to the degree where I would break down like last time.

Alcohol has done nothing positive for me. So basically I'm still a recoverying alcoholic.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome! And glad that you see that alcohol has nothing good to offer you. Keep up the good work and enjoy school-Your future looks very bright!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome GiantGuy

Sounds a lot like where I was. Except, my wife (now ex) did know I was drinking.. I'd come home and just start mixing up a drink, and drink until I fell asleep, usually by 8pm or so. Repeat that daily for several years. I still look back and think what a huge waste of time.. But, all you can do is fix today, and slowly make amends with the past. My big thing is that I'd quit, and then think I was magically healed, that I could drink normal again. It's not so. I believe once you've abused alcohol, you're an alcoholic for life. Don't get some time under your belt and then do the same thing! You most likely will fall back into the trap. Stay strong brother, and -- Go Steelers
Old 08-23-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, congrats on your ability to realize that there was a problem so quickly. I am impressed!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good news, GiantGuy! I wish I'd been that smart - I could have avoided so much drama and tragedy. This is a very helpful place where we all understand what you're going through. I'm so glad you joined us. You can do this.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR GiantGuy.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on getting sober again and welcome to a great community - it greats to have you with us!