Notices

One day sober,dont know if I can do it...

Old 08-23-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One day sober,dont know if I can do it...

I know it's stupid but I'm only one day in and I woke with such positive energy and determination. Skipped my morning vodka shots but now coming up to the evening when I drink again. Getting seriously anxious and sweaty. Dont know if i can do it........I drink for so many reasons, how do I cope with myself without it?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Just putting the bottle down is a good first step, but until I went to AA and started working on myself and my relationship with the world around me, I always ended up where I started. I suggest you go to a meeting. If that's not possible tonight, stay here and post on SR; try out the chat room -- just do whatever it takes to keep your mind off it. You can do this. I've been where you are and I promise you, it gets better.

--Fenris.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just get through today.. stay busy!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not having alcohol in my home to reach
for, is and was a perfect way to not drink
if I was in early stages of recovery learning
to stay sober a day at a time.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take smaller bites!!! One day at a time- Hell, one minute or one second at a time! Every moment you can manage to not drink can be a victory. Every second is another chance to make a better choice. Go crazy, dance around, run up and down the stairs, chop wood, blow bubbles- whatever!! You can do this!!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

check out an AA meeting tonight & absorb the message--you will be surprised at what you hear and how welcome you feel. You have nothing to lose but the urge to drink tonight.
You took a positive step today...take another step in a positive direction. Congratz & good luck!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do it. Pour any booze you have down the drain. Keep yourself busy, busy, busy. I've been doing this for 5 days now. Do whatever you can to keep yourself occupied. You'll be so proud of yourself tomorrow and then you'll be on day 2.

I said to someone earlier, if you want to do this badly enough you will find a way, if you dont want to do it you will find an excuse.

Big hugs

Gxxx
Old 08-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You have to get thru the initial detox before you start feeling better. Detox lasts a few days so don't give up on the first day! Take it a day at a time until you start to feel better. It does get better, I promise.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Crying more now....but thank you.

Thanks to all for such a quick response to my time in desperate need. I think I drink morning and night to pretend i'm someone else. To pretend I wasn't the one who did those awful things. I was a Police Officer, the only college grad in my entire family in 2 generations. Everyone looked up to me and needed me for everything. I was smart and likeable and was at every ones disposal, had the world in my hand.....then boom, I threw it away. I started drinking, I cheated on my husband (twice), I ran off with a man leaving my 2 kids behind for 3 mths for my husband to care for. I lost all control of my world that I was always in control of. Thank god my husband took me back, but the drinking never stopped. Only got worse because I drowned my sorrows in it as well. Now I have 4 kids, drinking almost all day, no longer an Officer, gained 60 pounds cause my husband is too afraid to let me go out into the work force without screwing everything up again and worse of all no more family members need me or want me. Even if I stay sober I'll still hate who I am. Been drinking for almost 3 years straight. I finally asked my husband for help but he doesn't know the seriousness and shruggs it off kinda. I fell with my newborn infront of my kids one night last year and my husband had to make up a story to cover for me saying "mamas tired". I am tired. I hope fate brought me here for a reason. Thanks again for listening.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sure you can do it. You've done it up to this point which proves you can. All you need do is carry on like you have been so far today.

If you really start feeling the need - start typing in SR. As long as both hands are on the keyboard, you can't hold a drink.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jw3013 View Post
I know it's stupid but I'm only one day in and I woke with such positive energy and determination. Skipped my morning vodka shots but now coming up to the evening when I drink again. Getting seriously anxious and sweaty. Dont know if i can do it........I drink for so many reasons, how do I cope with myself without it?
IF this crazy lady can do it, you can do it too!

If you can find an alcoholics anonymous meeting in your area GO, try to go EVERYDAY or/and as many times in one day-if you have the opportunity... those people will help you tremendously. Get phone numbers-these people will let you call 24/7 if you need help! And as soon as you can, get a sponsor to help you through the program...
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can regain your self-respect if you stay sober and work on your recovery. Have faith that you will be able to do it.

Do get rid of the alcohol in your house. And, don't expect your husband to be able to understand the help you need. Other people just don't get it, which is why SR is such a good place to hang out. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We're all right behind you. We all understand.
Take 1 day at a time and keep close to us xx
Old 08-23-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Someone's daughter once said on here 'you can at least put as much effort into getting sober as you did getting drunk'

I thought that was a really good way to think.
We spend so much time drinking, thinking about drinking, regretting drinking, wishing we were drinking, hiding our drinking and rationalising our drinking that I became exhausted.

Getting sober does require hard work at first.
I did not know how to relax without a drink.
It was the first thing I did when I put my child to sleep.
It was the first thing I thought of in the morning - in that I wished I had not drunk anything the night before.

Yes you have made some bad choices, we all have.
But burying your end under a sea of alcohol is not going to get you to deal with them and find away to live with them.

As far as I can see, you did not kill anyone. No-one died.
Perhaps you have a few amends to make to your kids and husband. But your husband must think a lot of you he took you back.

You can kickstart your career as soon as you get a handle on being sober and how to live sober.
Why not invest time in AA, rational recovery or AVRT?

Try not to mope and tink of the past too much. It will only end up being an excuse to drink.
Of course your family and friends need you. They probably are busy with life as we all are.
I wish you all the best xxxx
Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi again.

You sound like a very strong, caring lady to me.

If I can do this you can do.

You have all of us here holding your hands every step of the way.

Do it for you.

Big hugs

Gxxxx
Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

JW, if it was easy to get sober, we wouldn't need each other for it. Alcohol has taken a lot away from you; it's taken a lot away from all of us. The first step towards getting back to being a person you can love is to committ to sobriety. Nothing else can happen until you do that. Hang out here...the good folks of SR will help you.

--Fenris.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you trained to be a police officer and are a mother of four.....you can do this! Get rid of all the alcohol in the house. Keep posting - we're rooting for you.