Emails

Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emails

My grandfather, who became close with and housed my brother before he went to prison, keeps emailing me to update me on what's happening. He told me about my brother's sentencing, he tells me that my brother is moving to another prison, and how clever my brother is for telling the prison that he is a vegetarian, because he was tired of getting bologna every day. Maybe this shouldn't bother me, but it makes me kind of mad to hear about all this. I appreciate all the technical information, since I don't talk to the rest of my family very often, but hearing all this stuff about my wonderful brother is kind of annoying. My brother is a horribly abusive person and does not seem the least bit remorseful for what he did that got him incarcerated (this is my opinion after speaking to him on the phone several months ago). All this talk just reminds me of how everyone is still wrapped around his finger. When I heard he got sentenced to only 30 months, I was honestly disappointed. The longer he is in there, the less time he can spend hurting people. My grandfather knows the ugly history between my brother and me, but for some reason thinks I've gotten over it and that I love him and miss him and am full of hope for his recovery.

It's hard to know how to respond I guess. I feel guilty when I pretend to agree, and I also don't want to give my grandfather a reason to expect my brother and I to reconcile when he gets out. My grandfather wasn't a big part of my life growing up, and now we have finally developed a relationship (mostly by email) that works well for us. I just want to be honest without being mean.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Unless you're comfortable telling him you'd rather not hear about that stuff, just delete them. And then if he asks why you haven't responded, you can tell him. If you are comfortable approaching it just maybe say 'hey, I like that we're corresponding and I'd really like to get to know you better, I don't really want to hear about what other people in the family are up to.." etc.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tell him you love hearing from him but for your own mental well being you'd rather not hear about your brother.

When my AS got out of jail he said he never wanted to see s slice of bologna. What do vegetarians get in jail? I know when they used to regularly serve meals on airline flights people would request vegetarian because they were better.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whaty--- He gets eggs instead :-)