Need to find my friend's sponsor

Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to find my friend's sponsor

I need some advice on finding an old friend's sponsor. He was an addict hit rock bottom and got clean. Last night his fiance was telling me that he has become an alcoholic, after years of being clean. I think he has substituted the alcohol for drugs. Addiction is addiction and he really needs help. Thing is we don't have a name, number or even a group to contact to be able to help him. I told her she should contact their priest to see if that helps, and I have messaged some of his close friends from back then to try and see if they can help. I don't want to track down his ex unless I have to, because she's pretty vindictive. I just need to be pointed in the right direction, so if anyone has any suggestions the would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

While not answering your question directly, I would suggest calling the local AA hotline number. Your friend really needs to be one that calls or if he is in that bad of shape get detoxed by a doctor. 98% of sponsors are not doctors just people who have been down that addiction road.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If and when he wants to change, he knows who to call and/or where to go for peer group support.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the situation that your friend is in. Honestly, you really can't do anything else to help him. It's his choice to reach out or not. You've made attempts to contact others in his program and now it is in God's hands.

I've learned the hard way that the only way that someone can get and keep their sobriety is on their own. Unless it comes from within it's just not going to work. I doubt if there is anything that his sponsor or anyone else is going to say that will make a difference to him. The way that this will all get his attention is when the pain of using is worse that the pain of not using.