Notices

Can't wait till this vacation is over... Starting again.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't wait till this vacation is over... Starting again.

Well day 11 with my parents arrived yesterday, I have never had so much pressure to drink and so many questions about why not. I told them last week that I think I'm an alcoholic and they laughed at me and said I dont drink enough to be one.
So I had 2 drinks last night. And I'm not hungover and feel fine other than being sooo angry with myself. Like you all said I should have prepared more, had my list of what to do if the urge was here. I should have looked for AA meetings in the area.
How do you all do it? I want to be like you and free of this alcohol hold. I'm mad today. I see my parents and the binge drinking and unhealthy lifestyles but I still drank.
I know I have to commit better to this. My desire is there but I think how so many of you have pointed out if I dont commit to never drinking again than I will keep playing this reusing pattern.
I love my children. I know my health is vital to them. I Want to be a great mom for them.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

For the most part, it gets easier. I never got laughed at when I first told family or friends that I was an alcoholic (instead I got, "Well, DUH! You're just now figuring that out?!"), but it sounds like you already know what you should (and shouldn't have) done. Just use it as a lesson to learn from and move on. You'll get it. I had to relapse half a dozen times before it clicked with me, but as long as you don't give up, you're still making progress.

--Fenris.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter how much you drink, as you are most likely aware.

You know. You're back. You've learned?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've learned that I don't want to ever be what my parents are. Drinking everyday. They can't do anything socially without alcohol. And they keep telling me I'm such a downer because I want to go to bed and not drink all night.
Are you required to have a sponser when you go to AA meetings on a regular basis?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Misery loves company, they say...

You'll probably eventually want to get a sponsor...no requirement but you'll find that it helps.

All the best.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, basically, the key is to be aware - be aware of the situations you're putting yourself into, and make plans beforehand.

Members of my family laughed at me too - but I didn't really expect them to understand.

The important thing is we understand, we know what drinking does to us and what not drinking means to us, and thats whats important.

Don't give up now. You drank, but you can stop it there

However many more days vacation you have, make them sober ones...do whatever you have to do.

Maybe going to an AA meeting will help others see you're serious?

D
Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All my family members still think that
me being an alcoholic is all in my head.
That I dont have a problem drinking.
That it is a reason to get attention.

Ive been in recovery for the past 22 yrs.
for me and no one else. That I would go
to any lengths to stay sober including
divorcing myself from my family who
dont understand recovery because none
of them have been educated on addiction.

Staying sober means I have to take care
of me and live a recovery program incoperated
in my everyday affairs each day.

Change old habits in order to live new ones.

So can you.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

mammy
It's a slip and one that has made you realize how vulnerable you still are and that you need to put plans into place so this is not a bad thing.
I have been following your posts and I know that you can get sober. AA and SR keep me sober.

Love
caiHong
Old 08-21-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Sorry you parents dont understand, and also want to live in their world. That their child couldnt possiblely be alcoholic. Its even harder for them to admit it sometimes then us.

I personally have the support but father is a big drinker. So over this last 14 months I have had to really change my things with him. I used to visit alot specially in the summer sitting out side drinking.

He understands that I just dont care for the so we golf and do some other things. And when I stop over he know I might just leave any minute.

Lesson learned now move forward..
Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your parents disrespected you and what's important in your life. Is that okay with you? If your parents are both drinkers, maybe you need to distance yourself from them until you feel confident in your recovery. If your parents disrespect you and laugh at your choices, do you want to spend time with them? I had exactly the same situation with my parents. I remember becoming furious during one visit when they belittled my efforts at sobriety and that was the last time we spent together for quite for some time.

In my opinion, if you want to be sober, you need to make the tough choices. It's not easy, but it's worth it, for you and for your children.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." I think Shakespeare had something there. It is possible that the word alcoholic was just too hard for your parents. If you are an alcoholic, then what are they?

When I visited my family recently I just said I was taking a 30 day break from drinking. That was not threatening to them, and therefore, somehow, ok. Now that I have hit 30 I think I will tell them I liked it and I’m going for another 30. I get that others needed to and did walk away from their family. I couldn’t. You have to do what works for you.

Sending prayers…
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I told my family that the Doctor said that I shouldn't drink (Dr Bob Smith).

All the best.

Bob R