Notices

Giving the alcoholic more alcohol

Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving the alcoholic more alcohol

I'm a partner of an alcoholic who refuses to go to treatment. This has been a chronic problem for well over 7 years. He usually can come through the addiction by stepping down with less and less but I'm afraid of giving him more. What's one to do if the alcoholic refuses to go to treatment and is demanding alcohol so they don't go into severe withdraws?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Worry and welcome, this post prob will get more answers on friends and family forum, I would say some of the moderators will move soon.

Its very tough question.

He has to want to stop himself or any treatment will not do much good I doubt,
and certainly he will start the dt's if booze stops quickly.

If he would see the doc then doc will give him tabs to detox or keep him in to supervise.

Unless you get him some if he promises you that he will talk to you about stopping and getting help, then mayb this could be his last drink.

I feel for you having to put up with alkie's like us,

this is a fantastic place for people in recovery and it would do no harm if your partner joined and read through the forum.

I wish you well
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It will likely have to be your partner's choice as to whether he wants to go into treatment or not. It's not something you can push. Have you considered AlAnon as a support for you?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it were me I'd refuse to get alcohol for him and let him be responsible for getting his own. And if he got into a car to get more after already drinking I'd turn him in for driving drunk.

But you cannot make him want treatment, he has to want it for himself. But you don't have to be part of his addiction. I too suggest AlAnon for support for yourself.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It really up to you if you want to give him alcohol or not. Drinking more alcohol to limited the withdrawal is a hit or miss. I can do it sometimes and sometimes I can't if I go on a binge. Also is your partner a night drinker or a drinking sunrise to sunset? If he is a sunrise to sunset then he will most likely not get off the alcohol just by drinking a little bit at a time.

You can't force him to treatment because if he does not want to change then no type of treatment will work. Once he is ready to change then he will do it but until then nothing that you say or do will change that.

I would disagree with least about letting your partner drive drunk if he/she really wants more alcohol. By that point you can call the police or cave in and buy more alcohol.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I would do exactly what Least said, refuse to give him more, call the police if he attempts it on his own. Leave it up to him. In fact, why not just leave and go somewhere for a while? He can call 911 when he gets sick.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Worry:

Is he making the decision to detox at home and asking you to help or are you planning on having him detox without his cooperation?

I can't tell from your post.