Notices

Feeling Hungover

Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Hungover

Hi folks. I'm on day 20 now and I'm so happy I've come this far, however the last 2 days have felt like I've got one of those little hangovers I used to get. Not enough to keep me in bed all day but it's making me feel lethargic and like I can't be bothered. Maybe it's something else making me feel this way and I know alcohol wouldn't make me feel any better but it's a weird feeling.
Just wondered if it's normal to still feel groggy after a night of not drinking. I did sleep for 8 hours but feel like I should have more.
Determined to succeed!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I don't know if I have answers, but I do think it's normal. When I first got sober I felt lethargic and foggy-brained and physically lazy/ like a hangover on and off for months-- sometimes stronger than others. Honestly I was quite unproductive, with little to no motivation, and would replace my addiction to alcohol with an addiction to sugar/fast foods/ice cream and TV watching. :-/

This time around (I'm only at 12 days and last time I had over 6 months), I have not really had that effect so far. I actually had some other health problems in between sobriety stints but right now I am trying to stay active and energetic, to get things done and be productive, to eat better, and soon I want to start working out again. However this time around I seem to feel more mentally off/depressed, or just resigned to dealing with this alcohol problem forever, which bums me out.

I think that our bodies and minds have to even out and have a lot to deal with after we stop drinking. I have heard that the effects (called PAWS) can last for 6 months to a year or longer, sometimes 2 years or more. But at least we're on the right track and we are not increasing our problems by drinking! Best wishes to you.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard and congrats on 20 days

Its totaly normal. Your body has been throu quite a bit. And it take some time to really work it out.

I personally get phantom hangover's even after a several months. Thank whoever but they are nothing to the real deal.

Keep yourself hydrated and your doing great keep it up.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done for making it to 20
Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WTG for reaching that 20 day mark! I too have had some grogginess. I think that it's important to remember that our bodies have been through a lot. We need to allow ourselves that time.

Good to read that you are determined to succeed. That's what we need to get through this. With that determination, you can't lose!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
raf

Congrats on 20 days and thanks for posting the question. I'm on day 21 and the last couple days I have been feeling the exact same way. This morning was real bad..
Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Helbel:

I tapered and had my last two drinks on August 3. The first 6 days were fine, but the rest of the time has been hard for me, feeling lethargic and having difficulty concentrating and sleeping.

I did not drink large amounts of alcohol by some standards, but from a medical perspective I would be considered a heavy drinker with 4 to 5 drinks daily. Not enough for hangovers, but enough to have a negative impact on my health and life.

I'm just taking each day as it comes. I drank for a long time, so I don't expect miracles to take place overnight.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey slim slim. I also do not like to class myself as a heavy drinker or even an alcoholic. I was drinking 4-5 days a week and some days I was only having 1 or 2 but other days I was drinking till I got really drunk, had no alcohol left and then the next day waking up full of remorse. I could not remember when I had gone more than a week without alcohol.
Now I am on day 21. Last night was a challenge, I met some friends after work and we went to a bar, they drank wine, I drank orange juice. I have not avoided social occasions since I quit because then I feel I would be hiding away from it, when people are trying to get me to drink I just say I'm taking a break at the moment. It is really hard to change a habit of a lifetime but I'm still going strong. Keep it up too
Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I guess I never wanted to say hey I am an alcoholic, but I had no problem with heavy drinker. The the last decade of my drinking I would laugh at it and say yea I am an alcoholic give me another. I just figured that is the way the rest of my life would go.

Today I am a alcoholic that is sober. Its way better for me than worring about a label. Admitting to myself what I am , and doing something about it where to seperate things.

I drank to much to often for way to long = this alcoholic

you can be free.

You