Notices

Don't know where to start?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know where to start?

AA would probably be the most obvious place to start but I have developed social anxiety so wouldn't feel comfortable with that, as I mentioned in another thread I am a binger, I go all week without alcohol and then take of at the weekend.

But as I say I don't know where to start, I have tried beating it myself by just ignoring it and trying to convince myself I don't have a problem but every weekend the urge is to strong and I fail, I do have a problem and I do need help.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I guess you might think about some sort of plan. Everybody is different and AA just is not the right thing for some of us, it isn't for everybody. So, knowing yourself as you do, what things are you going to do?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I guess you might think about some sort of plan. Everybody is different and AA just is not the right thing for some of us, it isn't for everybody. So, knowing yourself as you do, what things are you going to do?
I don't know, I rarely miss a weekend without alcohol, maybe once/twice a year, a couple of weeks back I had work on Sat so couldn't drink Friday night and a funeral to attend on the Sunday so couldn't drink on Sat night either, and because I knew drinking wasn't an option this weekend I didn't have any problems or real cravings, so perhaps I need something to occupy my weekends? My weekends are pretty boring 90% of the time, I don't usually leave the house from I come in from work on Fri evening to Mon morning, my time is spent online or watching tv, perhaps I need to do something on Fri and Sat nights
Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, every day is a weekend for me. Not working and seem to spend way too much time on this blasted machine!! Too hot outside, though, and no one to play with during the days.

So what the plan, chickee? Well, gonna exercise I suppose (not my "thing," but need to!!) and maybe... do my nails?? Hah! Ugh. BUT, what I'm Not gonna do is drink.

@Falco89: You're in the right place! I'm the same way - have done AA and Alanon in the past, but am finding that this site really works for me. Many different forums to choose from and all great people. What I did (and still do - I'm a little over a week sober) is check out different posts/forums. It helps. Hang in there and explore!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Finding a way to occupy your time will obviously help, but you might find that unless you can change your way of thinking, those cravings may overcome you come saturday night. Have a look into AVRT/SMART. You should be able to find an addiction counsellor who can work with you via your doctor, or drinkline 0800 917 8282 (often you can self refer to a local drug and alcohol agency).
Old 08-19-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Because I knew drinking wasn't an option this weekend I didn't have any problems or real cravings.
Falko89, there is a nugget of pure gold in what you wrote, pure gold. What you said there truly is profound. Can you see that if you can decide that drinking is never an option, some beautiful things can happen?

Hypochondriac has some matching golden advice for you in my opinion. Point yer google at AVRT and Rational Recovery, or at Self Management and Recovery Training (SMART). I think you will find just what you are looking for there.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zee

I find SR a great place for my continuing journey. I am also reading Allen Carr's 'The Easyway to Stop Drinking' It's all about knowledge as far as I'm concerned. The more I know how bad it is for me, the less I want to drink