Notices

how did my life get like this, i want the old me back

Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how did my life get like this, i want the old me back

I come from a family where the men have all had issues with alcohol, ive been in denial for a 3 years but i feel ready to give the alcohol up and get my life back, ive been a very secretive drinker but in the last few months ive been found out, quite a few times and now ive had to omit to friends/family that alcohol is a problem, ive tried to stop but fail everytime, im hoping this time it will work, im on nightshifts the next 6 nights, when im on nights i never drink so im hoping to use it as a start to being sobar, sorry for the long rant

Im so ashamed of myself, i have everything ive ever wanted, my own home, a lovely partner, great job but then i get a drink problem, rediculous really
Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for making the decision to stop drinking. There is lots of support here, so I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cheers, i will make it this time, i will try and take complete advantage of this forum as you lot seem to know what your on about
Old 08-18-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Cheese. We're so happy to have you with us. You can have a new life and leave all that anxiety behind. Glad you're seeing the light and reaching out for help. You'll be avoiding so much pain and misery.

You can do it - keep posting!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome cheese1,
You sound ready for a change....good for you....living a life of lies is no way to live. I stopped drinking 8 weeks ago and started to feel more like the "old me" after three weeks. I'm sure others, with more experience will chime in, but wanted to welcome you.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im glad this is a predominly american forum as i live in england and people are alot more judgemental here
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Welcome to SR, you will find many great friends here. Trust me
Old 08-18-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cheese1 View Post
Im glad this is a predominly american forum as i live in england and people are alot more judgemental here
We love our friends in the UK
Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

But really, there are many folks from the UK in SR, and we find them to me invaluable.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Cheese, I was a very secretive drinker too. It turned out the only person I was fooling was myself! You have the power within you; you can do it
Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Cheese,

I, too, kept the real extent of my drinking a secret for almost 10 years. The minute I became honest with myself and others, the path to sobriety has been easier for me. Involving others in your sobriety really does help, it's like insurance.

The drinking really can sneak up on you. But don't blame yourself, it happens. I've had a good upbringing, sober parents, every advantage... but it still happened. What we need to focus on now is sobriety.

I applaud your wisdom in realizing your problem and your bravery in confronting it.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LOL, I thought some of my drinking was secret and perhaps is was. In the end I was popping beers in the bath tub!!! lol so no one could here the can. wow!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you, I am trying too and lots of us are here!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think even if they could not hear the can "pop" they knew-- how embarrassing it that?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The last time i got caught, i didnt even try to cover it up, instead i just was honest and told them id try and fight it, i just hope im not all words and no action
Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

You are on your way

By admitting that you have a problem you have already begun the healing process. One of the hardest things ever for me was to admit to my friends that I am an Alcoholic. Luckily I have some great friends that are very supportive.

I too come from a family of drinkers (and not just the men....) and have lived through the deaths of all of them. In American society booze is everywhere.
Servicemen in the Korean war (like my Dad...) were given booze and cigarrettes EVERY DAY and came addicted to both.

You cannot let folks lure you back to alcohol, they just want some company in their misery!

Keep your chin up and your focus on Sobriety! We are here for you....
Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, Cheese. We have members from all over the place here, and the member that is most welcome is the newest one. Grab a chair and make yourself comfy.

After reading for a bit you will find hundreds of posts from people who describe experiences just like yours, and that can be comforting. We are not unique in the least in our addictions, and that means that we can share our experiences in getting sober too.

The best predictor of a secure and permanent abstinence is an ironclad will and a solemn vow to quit drinking. Make this vow, and let it set your behaviour. Make this abstinence as easy as possible for you, starting with the belief that you will succeed, because you will succeed and stop drinking someday. You get to pick the day, you see, and today looks just perfect.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

cheese1,

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

you can do it. Just believe in yourself. Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Good luck to you.