Notices

today sucked

Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

today sucked

It's not like anything in particular happened. Lots of chaos, which is normal in my work place. Many people talking to me at once. I'm processing it all and trying to breathe through it. I'm telling myself to remain positive. One to many people trying to teach me at once. People are asking if I'm alright. I think I'm fine, maybe im not, I dont know.........its nothing and everything. I just couldn't wait to get home and eat and lay down and cry and release and know that even though today was terrible I don't have to drink over it. I won't.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Way to go, life is still happening wether were sober or not.

Sorry it was a rough day, but you did so well. And you said it ... You didnt have to drink over it..

I hope you a a wonderful day today.. To make up for yesterday.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you IndaMiricale. I decided that eating a Klondike bar and drinking recharge was going to turn this day into a AWESOME night. It's a party!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Right on glad you feeling better. .. And ice cream works wonders for me also.

Party on

Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mizzuno,
I'm glad you were able to change course. I wanted to say hello and that things do get better. The first few weeks were pretty rocky for me. The ups and downs were pretty severe. Distraction (exercise, food, friends, etc) and staying close to SR helped me get to 3 months sober.
Have a good night,
HRB
Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks HRB. I'm riding the wave. So far so good. Having SR as support is invaluable.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Mizzuno, sorry it was such a bad day. Glad you were able to turn it around and have a better night. I've had a lot of bad days at work recently. I feel like someone is testing me (if this happens will she drink NOW?) and it's really
a struggle, but I keep thinking "this would be even worse if I were drinking and felt hungover" and it truly would. It just feels like if we're trying so hard and succeeding there should be rewards for being "good" instead of more work crap lol
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's when I usually run to an AA meeting, where all the people there understand me. And I get out my phone number lists I get from those meetings and call someone who will walk me through this crap. You are experiencing what someone else has, I know I have experienced the same thing. It's just learning to live life on lifes terms-it's hard, but it's doable. Through AA you get a sponsor-it's someone you can call on at any hour of the day and who will walk you through the 12 steps of the program.. It's been a life saver-literally. I had to have a program- Can't go numb and couldn't kill myself-so I found AA and I got some mental health help as well... Good luck-you can do this!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It was a bad day. Im going to have many more of those as long as I am living and breathing. This is life and life has to be dealt with on life's terms.
When I think about it, I was very overwhelmed and dealing with many strong personalities. I have had many changes in the last few months and I am dealing in the best way that I know how. I relocated, started a new job, living in a apt (ugh) and trying to adjust to my new surroundings. Quitting drinking was the best thing that i could ever do.
Tonight, i get to go to a party where the libations will be flowing. I am the DD. Im a little nervous to be around so many people who are drinking. When you get a bunch of drinkers in the same room filters come off. It will be interesting to say the least. Wish me luck.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
It was a bad day. Im going to have many more of those as long as I am living and breathing. This is life and life has to be dealt with on life's terms.
Isn't that the truth! It's been a hard lesson for me for sure! Best of luck tonight..
Old 08-18-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tonight, i get to go to a party where the libations will be flowing. I am the DD. Im a little nervous to be around so many people who are drinking. When you get a bunch of drinkers in the same room filters come off. It will be interesting to say the least. Wish me luck.
Hey Mizzuno,
This can be very trick during early sobriety. If people are very heavy drinkers you may want to have a way to get our readily available. I know you are looking into AVRT. Have you made your big plan yet? The things that helped me in situations like this are the following:
-Stay close to SR and if you feel like drinking, slip away and post with your phone.
-Always have a non alcoholic drink in your hand.
-Have someone with you that you have trusted enough to tell them you have quit and that you are very serious about it.
-If you are feeling weak, get out. You can always come back and pick them up. There will usually be someone else who would love to get away for a while and have a cup of coffee or a sandwich.

I wish you strength tonight.
HRB
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

HRB has some great advice for you, Mizzuno, you need a plan. Make sure that you have a strong vision of you being sober and cool, no matter what happens tonight, in every situation. Play it out in your head first.

If you get a little panicky, withdraw for a minute or two. Make sure you are still breathing, follow your breath and concentrate on those sensations, and then listen to what your mind is saying. Listen for that AV and when you hear it (because you will hear it tonight), give it your full attention, slow it down, even write down what it is saying to you. This will put you in absolute control over it and let you do what you know is the right thing.

Post again later, and let us know how well things went for you. Have your confidence level set at 11 and know that you can do this just fine.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

@ HRB and freshstart
Ive got ammunition ready. I will post on Sr. I will eat food and drink water. If it gets sketchy I'm going to run out of there like the wind.
Today I will sit down and do my homework which is the "Big Plan".......off to play tennis.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you stayed in control of a chaotic day. This is a big deal, congrats!!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Feeling feelings...making plans...it all sounds great Mizzuno...you can do this
Old 08-18-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

learning to roll with bad days is part of recovery. for me, it's kind of cathartic to come home, have a good pout and cry over it and move on. when i was drinking, i held on to all the misery i was feeling. now, i feel able to move past it. i hope that's what you're experiencing as well. it's a wonderful feeling even if you have to feel bad for a while.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So....I made it at the party. It was really a beautiful event. No urges, nothing trying to pull me in a direction that I don't need to be in. I was very comfortable with myself and comfortable with my decision. I know that the new "normal" will fit like a glove as time goes on. There is something to be said about being fully present and being able to engage without alcohol. I'm feeling good about this.
Its been a good night. Thanks for all the support.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome glad you enjoyed it.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

*makes you some of my so called famous enchiladas and also gives you a big hug You did great!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So....I made it at the party. It was really a beautiful event. No urges, nothing trying to pull me in a direction that I don't need to be in. I was very comfortable with myself and comfortable with my decision. I know that the new "normal" will fit like a glove as time goes on. There is something to be said about being fully present and being able to engage without alcohol. I'm feeling good about this.
Its been a good night. Thanks for all the support.
THAT'S AWESOME! keep up the good work!