Notices

Hi all! Get to know me, read my story

Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all! Get to know me, read my story

Hi everyone! My names Mitch. After browsing SoberRecovery off and on for a few months, I finally decided to join, and I am glad to be a part of an online community of people with similar struggles. I am here to seek advice from those who have attained long-lasting sobriety, and also to give advice to those who are still trying to find a way out of the cycle of addiction and accompanying mental health issues (depression, anxiety, etc.). Also to possibly make friends with similar interests, and just BE a part of something

I had a relapse yesterday after weeks of sobriety. I have been battling drug addiction for two years, and have had small relapses here and there, in the past few months, but quickly get back on the right path. For me, it has somewhat been trial and error lately..

A brief history:

I started smoking marijuana when I was thirteen and continued to do so daily for the next 6 years. Along the way I've experimented with a variety of substances. My mental health started to deteriorate and I began to have severe anxiety and depression. I was diagnosed with a couple of health problems that triggered a vicious cycle of pain, depression, obsessive thoughts and drug use. A real whirlpool of misery.

Over the next year, my health conditions slowly improved and so did my depression. I was prescribed opiates to help deal with the pain, along with other potentially addictive drugs, and turned a bad addiction into a BAD addiction. My mental health again deteriorated as I indulged heavily in opiates and anti-anxiety pills.

I was hospitalized twice for a mental breakdown and I knew I was not in good shape. My future looked very bleak. The third time I was hospitalized, I overdosed and attempted suicide. This was my first rock bottom. When I was released, I attended a six-week rehab. It was hardly successful for me and I again fell to pieces right after. After an extremely uncomfortable withdrawal and a month-long 'cant-get-out-of-bed' Depression, I found the will and strength to push forward and start a new life for myself.

Over the next few months, I worked hard at rehabilitating my mind and body, applying the beliefs of Neuroplasticity and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to change my corrupt thought-processes and what I like to call, 'faulty-wiring' LOL. Therapy and support groups helped a lot as well. Even though during this period I had many small relapses, I noticed over time how my brain was changing and I was thinking differently. Much less obsessive compulsive and pessimistic, more realistic and aware.

I never thought I would get to this point in my life. I feel for once in a long time, truly HAPPY. My anxiety and depression are gone. I have a wonderful job, and spend my free time with family and friends, or doing activities I enjoy.

Despite a few, small relapses, I no longer have that sense of doom that I will not be able to enjoy life without substances, or that I cannot express my creativity without substances. The cause of relapse was more just curiosity to see what I was missing out on. Which was nothing! When I relapsed with opiates yesterday, I felt completely crappy, leaning over a toilet vomiting. I learnt that these drugs no longer serve the purpose they once supposedly had. What I relief! There still is a rocky road ahead, I must be vigilant..

If anyone has thoughts/comments, or anything in that realm, or would just like to introduce themselves - It would be warmly welcomed
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Mitch:
Welcome aboard !
The wife's uncle worked at Radio Shack. We go to Barrie often.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Mitch! So happy you joined the family.

I had to prove it to myself many times that I didn't need alcohol in my life. I'm sorry for all you've been through, but so glad to hear that you've realized early on - you aren't missing out on a thing. I can't believe I ever thought my life would be dull and pathetic without drinking. Wish I'd seen the light many years ago.

I appreciate your positive, uplifting post - and I'm sure many others will too.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone

Thank you!

Glad to be a member!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Howdy

Thank you for posting and letting us get to know you a bit.

Keep coming on and reading and posting.

Good love, Inda
Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Mitch))) - Welcome to SR!! I actually lurked here a couple of YEARS before signing on..best thing I ever did.

Crack is my DOC (drug of choice). After spending nearly 6 months in custody of the state, I got clean. I did NOT, however, get into recovery. I started dabbling here and there, first once a month, then twice. Long story short, had a really bad relapse for about 2 weeks.

I lost what little I had gained in that year. I found out that I just couldn't GET high enough to numb out because I'd read so much here. Darned if a bit of recovery doesn't really mess up a high

That was over 5 years ago. I've been through some pretty tough times in recovery...2 armed robberies at work, loss of loved ones, unemployment, living back home at the age of 50, etc. and every single time, I told myself "just let me get to SR, I'll be okay" and I was.

There's nothing like having a world full of "family" that gets you

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow your story is amazing. to see you got from near death to living a happy life is absolutely amazing and as im still struggling at the moment your story is truly inspirational to someone like me. i suffer mental health problems and obsesive thoughts through alcohol and the more i drink the worse it gets but seeing you have worked your arse off to get better gives me so much hope. its also an excellent thing to hear that even though you relapsed you realised that you dont get the same buzz out of it like you used to so now that youve got over the curiosity hopefully u can move on and give more inspiration to people like me. take care
Old 08-17-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mitch and Welcome,

I'm glad you joined and it sounds like you've worked really hard to get where you are today.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mitch-this is a great place to be.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mitch

D
Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!