Notices

A sober approach to anger management

Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A sober approach to anger management

Hey guys,

Almost finished my first week sober, and was very happy with myself until this evening. I had my first argument since I quit, and am struggling to adapt to this. Obviously, whenever I experienced anger, sadness etc in the past, I would immediately get as drunk as possible. Now I don't have that crutch - situations that occur at work and at home fill me with such rage (underlined). I'm not an angry/violent person, but these last few days I've just been getting these really strong urges to smash and break something. Is anger a short term side effect of quitting?

On a positive note, I got myself back to my apartment without a.) buying alcohol. and b.) smashing something
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi George,

These emotions are especially heightened in first few months of sobriety, they were for me anyways...

Are you working a program of recovery ?

Physical exercise helps me a lot, so does taking calmly about it in the rooms of AA during our check-in....

All the best and hang in there !
Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey TorontoGuy,

Thanks for the advice, for me, the best thing about this site is knowing there are other people going through the same things. Unfortunately I work abroad so there are no English speaking programs/AA groups nearby - this site is what I have to fall back on (and it's helped a lot)! I've been thinking of taking up some kind of martial art to release stress that way - and also hopefully lose the beer gut
Old 08-17-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are many online AA meetings too George ! Check them out...

Anger is often a manifestation of some sort of a fear, as I've learned in my journey of recovery.... Do you have counseling available to you through work etc. ?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey George - I've been known to chuck a few pans across the kitchen at work or slam a few drawers when that internal rage just gets to be too much. Part of the sobriety journey is learning to deal with the emotions that will be surfacing since we are no longer drowning them in a sea of drunken-ness. Take a deep breath and know this too, shall pass. You are amazing in your actions especially given the argument situation. You handled yourself like a pro - awesome job, George....it gets better and easier, I promise!!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, for me, I felt a lot of heightened emotions and I had a lot of anger in the early weeks. It disturbed me that I felt so angry at times. I realized that a good part of the anger was actually directed towards myself for allowing myself to become an alcoholic. That was clearly something I had to come to terms with because it was a fact and I had to move on. I expect that your anger will begin to fade before too long.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really relate to you!! I did a post on day 9 I think? "Punching Bag and Pink Gloves" I started ragin' SO BAD! I went out and bought a heavy bag and gloves. Basically, I don't want to be goin' off on my husband. I KNOW that it's because I quit drinking and has NOTHING to do with him or anyone for that matter. That heavy bag is the best purchase I've ever made. Whatever you can do to physically exert yourself- do it! Chop wood, hit a bag, run up and down the stairs- whatever!! You're going to release all that stress hormone and get it out!! I had been doing yoga and meditating- but it was NOT working for the rage. LOL I hope that helps!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to that George. The first few weeks I spent more time looking into anger management than I did trying to not drink! The good news is that this week I have had a ridiculously stressful time and it has barely touched me... I can't tell you how angry I'm not, when normally I would have been reaching for the bottle or at least threatening to. So basically, it will get better x
Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

George88 - Welcome to recovery! I am at about a month right now and dealing with anger has been my biggest challenge. The biggest help for me is exercise. I have been running first thing in the morning everyday prior to work (getting up at 4am stinks but it pays off). This mellows me out before the day even begins and has seemed to help quite a bit. Overall, there seems to be a positive direction in my ability to deal with anger issues. Did not intend for this post to be all about me, just wanted to throw an idea out and let you know that it does get better/easier.