Notices

Vacation with kids & parents.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vacation with kids & parents.

Is really tough. It reminds me so much of my childhood and why I couldn't wait to leave home. My dad keeps saying party pooper why can't you have 1 drink. No support.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that....

Just do your own thing, I learned to ignore my parents' abusive comments... View them as sick people, that could certainly benefit from some serious therapy...

Aside from parents, if anyone else brings up the issue of me not drinking, I just tell them that based on my last physical with the doctor, I was advised to give up all toxins ASAP... Full stop. Not too many people would typically dive deeper into that comment.

Hang in there...
Old 08-17-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I actually had to stay away from my parents (particularly my mother) for awhile. She was incredibly toxic to me. And, ultimately I remained completely detached emotionally from my mother, until her death.

Do whatever you have to do to stay sober. This is YOUR journey.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am having to learn to emotionally detach from my parents at the moment too. Being around them almost caused a relapse last weekend. I'm finding it dreadfully hard, but I'm still sober.
Your health must come first x
Old 08-17-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TorontoGuy28 View Post
Sorry to hear that....

Just do your own thing, I learned to ignore my parents' abusive comments... View them as sick people, that could certainly benefit from some serious therapy...

Aside from parents, if anyone else brings up the issue of me not drinking, I just tell them that based on my last physical with the doctor, I was advised to give up all toxins ASAP... Full stop. Not too many people would typically dive deeper into that comment.

Hang in there...
Thanks I really like that answer. Can you believe he just came back from food shopping with a bottle of wine for me. He said here I got you something.
Ugh. Can't stand it. I might cry.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does he know you want to stay sober ?

Funny, some people still buy me a bottle of wine for my birthday etc... Ummm, yeah thanks... It gets re-gifted very quickly.

My point is that those close and dear to your heart need to respect and support your decision...

The only people that kept trying to get me to drink, are the ones who IMHO also should get into recovery... Perhaps your great decision makes them question their own drinking habits and they do not feel comfortable with it ?