Notices

A Long Day -- But the 10th Sober

Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Long Day -- But the 10th Sober

I am doing OK -- for me. In the last 50 days I only jumped into the bottle 3 times. The last was 10 days ago. I'm trying to make it to 30 in the hopes that I will start to feel physically better at that point.

I keep telling myself that I can't expect instant recovery after spending the last 17 years poisoning myself with vodka, but the headaches and brain fog and general fatigue/irritability do get to me. I went to bed very early last night because I felt tired and achy and tempted to drink. I slept VERY well and you'd think I would have felt better in the morning, but I didn't. About 2/3s of the day at work I was in a total fog. I was gazing stupidly at the computer screen and finding it very difficult to put things together in my mind. I actually almost felt like I WAS drunk, even though I was dead sober. These episodes of dazed confusion are very disconcerting. I expected to feel MUCH better after I stopped drinking. I expected it to be a big improvement after the first 4 or 5 days. It takes a lot longer than that if you have really been drinking and it's rather tough to persist when I know that if I just DRINK I'll at least feel physically better -- for the moment.

Anyways, I AM toughing it out and I am on Day 10. :-)