Notices

No Naltrexone...:-(

Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Naltrexone...:-(

I just got back from seeing my doctor. He wouldn't prescribe Naltrexone for me, because he isn't familiar enough with that medication. I understand why he is being cautious, but I'm still disappointed. He mentioned Antabuse, I was like "Noooo!" lol. I have an appointment with an outpatient program for an assessment this Sunday, which I am very happy about. I will call my counselor and let him know and then resume my sessions with him. I haven't really tried to help myself, except my brief stint in AA, but I really am serious about this now. My mother gets mad at me and doesn't understand why I don't/can't just quit. That annoys the hell outta me when she acts like that. She has no idea because she has never struggled with something like this. Of course I want to stop, I wouldn't be seeking help if I didn't! I wouldn't be coming to SR for support and inspiration, if I was happy with what I am doing. But I know she just cares about me, that's all. I need to stop getting angry.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carly2332 View Post
I just got back from seeing my doctor. He wouldn't prescribe Naltrexone for me, because he isn't familiar enough with that medication. I understand why he is being cautious, but I'm still disappointed. He mentioned Antabuse, I was like "Noooo!" lol. I have an appointment with an outpatient program for an assessment this Sunday, which I am very happy about. I will call my counselor and let him know and then resume my sessions with him. I haven't really tried to help myself, except my brief stint in AA, but I really am serious about this now. My mother gets mad at me and doesn't understand why I don't/can't just quit. That annoys the hell outta me when she acts like that. She has no idea because she has never struggled with something like this. Of course I want to stop, I wouldn't be seeking help if I didn't! I wouldn't be coming to SR for support and inspiration, if I was happy with what I am doing. But I know she just cares about me, that's all. I need to stop getting angry.

Carly, did you read today's "24 hrs A Day" post in the 12 Step forum?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hours-day.html

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-16-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Why say no to antabuse???
Old 08-16-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm scared of antabuse. Heard too many horror stories. If I'm going to take any medication while I'm trying to recover, I want something that will lessen/take away the urge to drink. From what I've researched about Antabuse, it's a deterrent, you know if you drink, you'll get sick, but does it help you not still crave?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Antabuse has been around for many, many years whereas Naltrexone hasn't.

Try not drinking and find a program to work. You can stay stopped, too!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sugarbear, have you tried Antabuse?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Carly, you can stop drinking without Antabuse or Naltrexone. Don't let your drs caution dissuade you. You can do this!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Yes, I have had antabuse. I had no side effects. I didn't try to drink on it, though. 15 months ago I did it without any medications.

I did work the 12 steps of AA, I continue to utilize them in my life, and I was changed after working through the steps the first time. My anxiety, social phobias and irrational fears left me, but that is my story.

Habits had to be worked on as time passed by. I have had no cravings nor obsessions to drink since I worked those steps on days 14 & 15 of sobriety, this time around. It took me a long time to be ready to stay stopped.

You can stay stopped, too!

Love & hugs,
Old 08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Well Antabuse is bad cause you can't drink on it. Naltroxene you can. I understand your point. Might think about the thinking.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Campral helps with cravings. Naltrexone just blocks the "buzz" feeling. If I drank on it it was spread out a lot slower and I didn't drink nearly as much. It's like whats the point?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was 17-18 years old I was put on Antabuse for constant drinking. I was on it for 4 months. I didn't drink the entire time I was on it for fear of going into instant hangover mode.

I made the mistake of drinking some of my friends hydrocodone syrup and I didn't realize it had a little alcohol in the solution. Within an hour I had a headache and my face was very red, I felt ill. Do not drink on Antabuse.

But the effects of naltrexone can be even worse and you don't have to drink to go through them. I've heard that some people feel depersonalized and anxious after taking their prescribed naltrexone, but it does cut cravings out the equation after a few months.