Notices

Baby Steps

Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baby Steps

I updated my online dating profile to say that I don't drink.

I'm sure that will turn some people off but I really want to do this and stay sober.

Anyone else struggling with dating and sobriety, I'd love to hear your experiences.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good thing to do.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As a guy - Not that I'm dating - I'd say that doing what you did shows honesty. Since I'm guessing that you'd prefer to be dating someone of like mind - IE: sober and honest - I think saying that you're a non-drinker will also help you find one of those.

That being said - I didn't find my soulmate until I gave up and turned everything over to the fellow I chose to call God
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FredG View Post
As a guy - Not that I'm dating - I'd say that doing what you did shows honesty. Since I'm guessing that you'd prefer to be dating someone of like mind - IE: sober and honest - I think saying that you're a non-drinker will also help you find one of those.

That being said - I didn't find my soulmate until I gave up and turned everything over to the fellow I chose to call God
Hi,
Thanks for your thoughts. I wouldn't mind dating someone who drinks a little bit here and there, after all it is a personal choice but I need to do what is right for me right now, you know?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey ZiggyB,
I've also done the same on a profile site i use . Sometime i think it'd be nice to meet someone who is recoverd at other times someone who is "normal" ..

In all honesty i'm probably putting the cart before the horse and overthinking things , as one of those things i cannot control it's best left to those forces in life bigger than I .
Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good decision Ziggy! Very smart I think.
It probably seems like a bigger deal to you than to anyone looking at your profile. Lot's of people do not drink for any number of reasons. (i.e. health, fitness, religion, role in society, etc)
Many will consider it a good and desirable trait. Those that don't probably are not a good match anyway.
Best of luck to you!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ZiggyB

Men stopped sending me messages as soon as I changed my drinking status to "do not drink". So I have to change it back to "drink on special occasions". But the truth is that I don't drink anymore.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
ZiggyB

Men stopped sending me messages as soon as I changed my drinking status to "do not drink". So I have to change it back to "drink on special occasions". But the truth is that I don't drink anymore.
Yeah that sucks.... I am worried about that too. The site I am using only has a no drinking or social drinking option. (
Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cool Re:baby steps

Originally Posted by ZiggyB View Post
I updated my online dating profile to say that I don't drink.

I'm sure that will turn some people off but I really want to do this and stay sober.

Anyone else struggling with dating and sobriety, I'd love to hear your experiences.
Well I might not be going through the exact same thing but I just got out of a relationship and I have been drinking, doing cocaine, and taking Alprazolam a lot all together I use to never have issues with drinking and or doing drugs as much, I just want to be sober because off the impact alcohol and drugs have put on my health physically, mentally, and socially. Everyone I know either smokes marijuana or drinks its a part of my generations culture......................i guess....., If people get turned off by you not drinking then they have an addiction themselves lets all just stay^the influence
Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I have been online dating since I got sober. It has been an unmitigated disaster haha. One date actually led to a relapse, so I have taken down my profile. I can't handle dating and sobriety right now. I would rather be sober and lonely than drunk with companionship...