Notices

Why has my Anorexia stopped working?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Why has my Anorexia stopped working?

Went to rehab almost 6 months ago, first month, after quiting opiates and benzos, lost a ton of weight, I ended replacing one addiction with the old one that caused my drug addiction, an eating disorder...

I am still in control of what I put in my body, really been good for months!! But... IM GAINING WEIGHT!! Like crazy!! Just a big fat pig, its not in my head... the scale says it! Is this normal? Im kinda scared that drugs were keeping me "FIT" at least my version of it... but I do recall never thinking about what I stuffed in my mouth when I was high, would just go for that fast food... still only ate once a day, at night time... now, I'm still doing that, but eat very late, but am VERY CAREFUL about what I eat!! VERY!! Several people around me have caught on to my Eating disorder, but still, they have to proof, and still, IM GAINING WEIGHT!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please go see your doctor. If you don't have one, find one. Be honest, tell him/her
about the rehab, and what is going on. There may be something going on in your
body that you do not know and the doctor will help you figure this one out.

So please get to your doctor or a doctor to work on this!

Also, please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care so very
much.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My belief is that we have to deal with whatever is the root cause of the addiction. If not, we can easily end up substituting one addiction for another. It could be that therapy will help you to deal with the issues that are causing you problems.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

All of the above plus you are getting older, your body changes. Things we did when we were younger don't always keep working when we get older. It's not a reason to take substances again, that is insane thinking.

You are eating at night....are you eating healthfully? 3 meals a day? exercising? taking care of yourself?

Maybe your body is getting healthy and making up for the poor nutrition you gave it while on those pills. Like a teenager who is in fit shape who goes to college and forgets to keep working out, they get fat. Or a football player who gets injured, can't work out, and who loses muscle mass.... We have to keep up with our changing bodies....

Seems your way isn't working, maybe try a healthy and nutritious plan of action, there's a ton of information on tv and in books and on DVD's and even CD's....Read about a healthy lifestyle, after you seek a doctor to make sure things are A-OK!

I wish you well!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From what I understand, only consuming one meal a day can cause your body to store more fat than if you ate normally because it puts your metabolism in starvation mode, therefore you can gain weight regardless of how little you eat. I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you how to treat this problem. What I can say is that diseases like anorexia often are a result of the person feeling a lack of control, so they start to control what and how much or how little they eat. Anorexia from what I've seen can become worse once you add substance abuse to the picture, as losing control of your drug use causes you to control your food intake more and more. If not treated properly it can become a vicious cycle. You need to see a doctor, preferably one who understands both eating disorders and substance addiction. If you can't see one that deals with both you need to make sure that each physician you see knows about the other one and the other problems you're having. You need a coordinated treatment plan to address both issues and you need to get to a dr. as soon as possible. You don't know what underlying physical or psychological issues could be at the root of your problem and you need to get to a doctor and begin the process of dealing with your diseases.

Please get to a family physician asap. Tell them about the addiction and the eating disorder. Do this as soon as possible. I wish you all of the best.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Others have said it already - You need to eat properly - Also better to eat in the morning, especially if only one meal a day.

That being said, weight gain can be indicative of several other disorders. See your doctor and let them know your full history. If you don't give your full medical history, its kind of like asking them to give you a personal diagnosis based on the symptoms someone else is experiencing and expecting them to be right.