Notices

Pain is my motivator

Old 08-15-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Pain is my motivator

After going through 6 or 8 Gout attacks and being in TOTAL denial that my beer drinking was causing them, I finally have had enough and stopped drinking. I was having a few beers with a couple friends with my foot propped up and an ice bag on it when one of them said "why dont you just stop drinking...."

That phrase repeated in my head all night and by morning I had created a list of reasons to stop that I could not ignore....

- Stop or reduce the Gout attacks
- Lose weight to reduce the load on my bad back
- Save Money (6er = $10, $10 X 365daysayear = $3,650.00... at least)
- Eliminate the possibility of a DUI or worse
- Create more friendships that have a POSITIVE impact on my life
- Enjoy life more

It has been 25 days. I've lost 15 lbs. I am determined to get healthy again.

Glad I found this forum. Reading your testimonials has helped me realize that life can change for the better, if you want it bad enough.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome!! Way to go!!! AND thanks for the reminder of all the positives that happen as a result of sobriety. :-)
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Hope4Life!

Getting sober definitely improved my health, not only physically but mentally and emotionally, too. Sounds like you're off to a great start - congratulations!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Hope, and welcome to SR!

It's great that you've already found so many reasons to quit drinking. That's one of the common themes I see in these forums: most of us have so many reasons to quit, and so much to gain when we do!

Best wishes to you.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

fantastic! Good for you!

Stick around, SR is a great place to be.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Thanks everyone. The decision and follow through to get sober is really tough but having this resource and community to share with makes it a lot easier.

Day 26.....
Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you are doing well.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

way to go!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Another test

I went to lunch with a friend and met at a restaurant bar. While he had a Manhatten, I enjoyed some ice tea. I was kind of expecting that I'd be craving a beer but that didnt really happen. Feeling good has become my new buzz.

While we had lunch he looked at me and said "you look better than you have in a long time...." When I told him how determined I am to stay sober and get healthy again, he said "I can see that but you shouldnt worry too much about all this.... you are not an alcoholic". While I'm glad he doesnt think I am, I KNOW I AM.

I drank every day for 35 YEARS until 7/21/12. There is no way to deny it and while I was functional, I got drunk EVERY DAY.

This transition has been easier because I had walked away from the bar scene 4.5 years ago, leaving behind the drama and gossip that goes with being a bar fly. Instead I would by cases of beer and stay home and drink alone. While this ended my drunk driving days, the root problem was still there... the Son of an Alcoholic Father, Mother, Grandfather and Grandmother
is an ALCOHOLIC.

Sorry.....that feels good to admit.

26 days and DETERMINED!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober time. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you Hope. It sounds like you have a good attitude and honest about your problem. Getting your health back is a great motivator. I'm at 7 1/2 months and I've lost 50 lbs and feel wonderful!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

My last beer

For some reason when I stopped drinking I left a single beer in the fridge..... just in case I needed a beer. Yesterday, I started thinking about it in the afternoon, when it was hot and I was thirsty.

I came here and read many of your accounts of the '1 beer cant hurt' syndrome that plagues our efforts to get sober and after I realized that I had been considering this for over an hour....I POURED IT DOWN THE DRAIN.

Another minor victory for determination!

Thanks to all of you who share your experiences...... it really helps.

DAY 27.......
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I realized that I had been considering this for over an hour....I POURED IT DOWN THE DRAIN. Another minor victory for determination!
Hell NO! This is a major victory! It highlights that leap you made in realizing that you will never consider having another beer in this lifetime. That is huge, I think and indicates that a much much better life is in store for you.

About your signature file, I am exactly the same as you. But I feel that for me, I can only play the cards I've been dealt, and that I still get to make my own choices and live with their consequences. Things may be more difficult for some folks, but we each of us have more than enough ability and will to succeed. I think that you will succeed too, Hope4Life.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Sober in an alcoholic society

When I get around town these days all I seem to focus on are signs of alcohol sales and use. Every where I go there are bars and liquor stores full of people like us. It really makes me feel like an outcast....

Within 1/2 mile of my house there are 3 bars, 3 restaurants with alcohol, 2 liquor stores and 2 grocery stores that sell alcohol. For a town of 6000!!!!

I could so easily walk to any one of these places....maybe I need to move.

Another test last night.... a very good friend came for dinner. When I was drinking, I definitely enabled him to drink more than he would normally. He doesnt care about alcohol and doesnt drink on a regular basis (rather than EVERY day like I did....). Anyway, he brought 3 Stella's with him. He has been bringing NA beer over since I stopped but had a bad week and wanted a few beers. I didnt have any cravings but I did feel a little put off by him even bringing it into my home. In his defense, when he took a 3 month break from drinking I got hammered in front of him MANY times.....

Then came a REALLY hard conversation...... I had to explain to him that for me, it is ALL OR NOTHING! I choked up (like I am now....) and told him that I considered myself an ALCOHOLIC and that I CANT DRINK ever again. He was pretty shocked when he heard that but very supportive. I am confident that our friendship will continue for a long time as we have many common interests other than beer.

That was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

Its day 28 and I am DETERMINED!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The single most important predictor of success in sobriety is determination and you have that in spades. I know what you mean about having those difficult conversations, it really is hard to stand there naked finally accepting and moving forward with strength and courage.

Every time you walk by one of 'those places', give yourself a little smile because that sober muscle is getting stronger and stronger. You are doing just great!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

One of the benefits of getting sober is the positive changes in my health. Glad you are seeing the same thing.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hope 4life
It is great what you are doing. That was a major victory to ignore the AV and pour the beer down the sink.

all the best
CaiHong
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Alcohol everywhere

I went to Laguna Seca to watch some sports car racing today and was repeatedly pushed by my AV to get a beer.

AV - Look around EVERYONE is drinking, just get a beer.
Me - What the *^#@ are you talking about? I'm not interested.
AV - Geez, its so hot and dusty..... you know you want to....
Me - Knock it off and stop pestering me.
AV - You could stop at the store on the way home and get some beer....
Me - Thats it you loser, you are OUT OF MY LIFE! You no longer EXIST!

I really didnt think that I would still be thinking about beer at this point but everywhere I go I see alcohol (especially beer....). People under the influence, people in bars and on the street drinking, people at concerts drinking and people buying alcohol every time I go to the store. GEEZ....ya think I'm fixated on alcohol?

Day 29 and my determination is intact.

I'm trying my best to just deal with my own issues and ignore what everyone else is doing. I know I cant control anything other than my own life.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

How long did you drink? 29 days is awesome, but I guarantee it's not much compared to the number of years you were drinking, that's a difficult long term habit to break! Be proud of how far you've come!!!

I told that voice I might entertain it tomorrow....then tomorrow always turned into today...