Notices

Withdrawal... is it dangerous?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal... is it dangerous?

I'm becoming very frustrated with myself, so I don't feel like drawing it all out, but long story short, I drink way too much and don't know how to stop.

I had a dr. appointment last week where I was going to let them know everything about my drinking and... I don't know... ask for some kind of help? Anyway, I ended up cancelling because I think I was putting it off (I called the dr and said my car broke down... great). But I think I'm going to try again tomorrow if I can get an appointment.

The main reason I want to involve my dr is because my withdrawal symptoms scare me every time I try to stop. Shaking, sweating, vomiting, heart palpitations, severe anxiety, etc. Combine these things with the fact that I'm a very serious hypochondriac, and I seriously worry that I'm dying.

But what is the doctor going to do? Is there anything they can do? I'm so scared they're just going to laugh at me, or say "Well, what do you want me to do about it?". I have terrible scenarios running through my head and it just makes me more anxious.

Should I even go see the doctor, or should I suck it up and try to do this on my own? I don't know how to tell if my withdrawal symptoms are dangerous or just normal. HELP!!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LJ,

Alcohol is one of the most lethal drugs to withdraw from. I had read and heard that, but when I saw a maybe 20 year old have a grand mal seizure in rehab 2 weeks after release from detox, I believed.

In a medically monitored detox, you are prescribed medication to wean you off alcohol and minimize the strain your body otherwise would go through. Usually its some kind of depressant which limits blood pressure and heart rate.

Go to the doctor - you may be a hypochondriac, but it's possible you almost killed yourself the last time you tried to detox solo.

Keep posting, let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t want to scare you but yeah there is a reason we recommend people see Drs. Detox can be really rough, even dangerous for some people.

Just because you're a hypochondriac doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing to worry about....

Please do follow through with the appointment this time, and be honest with your Dr

D
Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go see your Dr. I know a guy who was about as "down and out" as one can be. Was drunk for years daily (twice per day). He got through detox at a hospital. He couldn't even walk when he went in.

My point is, if they can get him through detox, they surely can get you as well. Plus, detoxing on your own is very dangerous.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this link....note that not everyone had the same symptoms The first posts has info that might help you
decide to get medical assistance.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

People are giving you good advice. I think you know yourself that it's a good idea to work with a doctor at the start of this process, you just got scared.
Call back and reschedule your appointment and just take it a step at a time.
This is one case where it's probably a very good idea to listen to your inner hypochondriac! Reading and posting here will help keep the anxiety level down, you'll realize you're not alone, that it is possible to quit, and it is a very nonjudgemental place. Best of luck!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljames103 View Post

But what is the doctor going to do? Is there anything they can do? I'm so scared they're just going to laugh at me, or say "Well, what do you want me to do about it?". I have terrible scenarios running through my head and it just makes me more anxious.

Should I even go see the doctor, or should I suck it up and try to do this on my own? I don't know how to tell if my withdrawal symptoms are dangerous or just normal. HELP!!
What the doctor will do is determine if you need medically supervised detox based on how much you drink. It is very important to be honest with the doctor on this.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best wishes with your recovery, ljames. Please, play it straight, own up to it, and keep safe!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It varies quite a bit from person to person, with many able to detox at home, and many others needing to be in a facility.
The symptoms you mention are very common with coming off of the sauce, but make sure to keep your next appointment.
I know I was in the same place putting it off over and over going to the doctor, but once you actual go and "get it over with", you will feel a million times better.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes it can be dangerous. Alcohol detox is more lethal than heroin detox, as an example. Just go to the Dr and be COMPLETELY HONEST with the amounts and frequency of your drinking.

They'll take your vitals and you'll get the appropriate medication and followup exams or even hospitalization (I did 4 days in the ER). I can't say what will happen with you, as I'm not a Dr. (If you ever need programming work done PM me. That I can help you with).

You can do this. Let us know how everything goes.