Notices

Do I understand this tapering correctly?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I understand this tapering correctly?

Hi. I'd like to start out by first saying that I have found some really good information in this forum, and I thank everyone for that. Furthermore I have searched the forum (not just jumped on and immediately asked this question) but I haven't quite found the answer I am looking for. I'll try to keep this short.
I know nobody here can give medical advice but I was hoping to get some ideas about the severity of my dependence on alcohol in general and see if I have this getting straight thing right. About 6 months ago I realized that I had been drinking beer everyday for about a year. I was drinking a good amount starting in the early afternoon. When I had this realization I was afraid to quit because so many people have told me how dangerous it can be. Their efforts to scare me into quitting scared me into NOT quitting. Long story short I cut back and am now drinking about 6 beers every evening starting around 730ish. I never really feel too bad or sweat or shake if it gets later, but I do get a little anxious. Sometimes the anxiety is related to other things like work anyway but who really knows. This week I decided to stop completely. Would cutting down two beers everyday all the way to zero be the way to taper, or should I take it a little slower? Thanks for reading and I promised I tried to keep it as short as possible.
PS - I know that tapering could lead to more drinking but every time I have set a reduction goal I have done well as long as I stay home on Friday.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

See a doctor.

My experience, I quit beer with no physical dependence shown, but not everyone is as lucky.

In all of this time, have you seen a doctor?

You've spent more than what it would cost for one doctor visit, without insurance, on the beer you've consumed.....

Or go to the ER and they will help you out.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have insurance but I absolutely can't miss work. They aren't exactly understanding. I have made great strides to only be on the beer now. I was really bad on all alcohol last year this time, and anytime I go out now so I really can't do that anymore. But thanks for the reply you're right
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you want to stop or not?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

Any advice on tapering really is medical advice by our rules, chedwerks, so you won't find much on it here.

The other reason you won;t find much on it here is that the majority of us tried it and found it simply didn't work.

If you're worried about stopping drinking/withdrawal the best thing to do is to see a Dr.

I know it's hard to do that without insurance, and considering jobs etc, but I think well being is worth it.

Not doing something decisive about it is likely to put everything you hold dear at risk anyway....

I also know many areas of the US now have free or sliding scale clinics...it might be something you might want to look into.

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

D
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay well I appreciate the feedback a bunch and I will look into how I can find a way out of work. And yes, I absolutely want to stop but I'm not givin time off unless I have a broken leg and I can't just lose my job over missing. I want to stop and I will either way, but I really want to have a place to live over that so I have to keep my job at all cost, including my poor ol' liver
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back. My take is if you could taper to two beers a day and stay there you wouldn't be an alcoholic. I think the idea of tapering is solid but for me, there is no way I could stop at 2 beers.

Unfortunately I think the DR. is going to be the way you'll have to go. If you can't get time off work and can't do it on your own, alcohol may do it for you. This is serious stuff man. Take care of yourself.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hi Chedwerks
I substituted full strength alcohol for low alcohol. I did this for a month before stopping alltogether. From what I can gather I was drinking more then you. I have taken natural medications to help with sleep. I have not had any other withdrawal symptons doing it this way. Last time (my only other attempt) was horrible.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

You will be fine

I was drinking 6-10 beers a day when I stopped. I had absolutely no physical withdrawls but the mental side of stopping is tough. Luckily I found SR and reading about the situations of other members really helps.

You are NOT alone as it seems..... WE are here for you.

You can do it if I can.

Best Wishes