Notices

New to recovery

Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

I am new to recovery and I'm trying to find ways to curb my binge drinking on the weekends. I'm not sure if I want to quit drinking completely or forever, but due to recent circumstances, it is something that I am definitely questioning. I make very poor decisions when I drank and it's to the point now that it is starting to affect my marriage. This past weekend I began flirting with a bartender at a local pub, who I have known for a few months. I was completely slammed and decided it would be a good idea to ask for her number. She gave it to me and I then proceeded to send her inappropriate texts and photos of myself. I eventually went home and thought nothing of it until my wife woke me up at 5am with the my phone in her hands demanding an explanation. I hardly remember the incident but I know there was a big fight and now she is telling me to quit the booze or get out. I don't blame her after reading the text I had sent to the other woman. I love my wife and don't want to jeoporidize my marriage anymore.

Anyway, a little about myself.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jkinghockey

I'm afraid I never found a way to curb my drinking...I think if I could have, I would have you know?

the only way for success to me was to remove alcohol from my life entirely.

D
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My ex used to do the exact same thing, repeatedly! It was kind of funny but he ended up getting barred from pubs and has upset a lot of friends by being inappropriate.

So... is the choice to quit drinking or lose your wife then?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everyone is different.. I fooled myself for years believing I could control it, until that finally blew up on me in a big way. As I review my relationship with alcohol in the rear view mirror, I wish I would have taken stronger action on one of the many symptomatic episodes where the booze controlled me. I didn't and m now working hard on recovery, knowing I can't control my drinking, so I need to control my absolute sobriety. Like. Said, everyone is different, just wanted to share my lost battle with this question...
Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jkinghockey View Post
she is telling me to quit the booze or get out. I don't blame her after reading the text I had sent to the other woman. I love my wife and don't want to jeoporidize my marriage anymore.
Welcome to SR!! I am still pretty new here as well. Imagine if your Wife had such a problem with you eating pickles that she threatened to leave you if you did not quit eating them... Even if you did not agree with her, I bet you would quit eating pickles to save your marriage. How crazy would that sound in a divorce decree, "Could not reconcile differences due to pickle abuse"? Why is alcohol any different? Pickles, alcohol, pop-tarts, whatever it is it is coming between you and your family. Cant have both, choose the best one. I hope my logic makes sense... Good luck to you friend.

On a different note, GO BUCS! - mike