Notices

****please help****

Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

****please help****

I just joined this site today because I am looking for help from more than just one person. I never drank alcohol until about a year and a half ago. It started when I went on a week vacation with my family. My parents had always drank beer, but never abused it. I figured I was on vacation so I was going to have a good time and drank every night. After the vacation, I continued my drinking at home. Now, I am drinking an average of 10 beers a day. I never drink hard alcohol but I am only 23 and from being a smoker as well, my health is going downhill fast. My wife told me that she wants to leave me and take our baby daughter with her. I am at the most terrible point of my life. I ask with all my heart that somebody out there knows what I can do to fix my situation. FYI......I take anti-depressants and I heard that quitting to drink while taking these could be deadly if you stop cold turkey. I was prescribed to anti-depressants before I was a heavy drinker because of the things I went through as a soldier in Afghanistan. Thank you to anybody that helps!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcom chi!

weekends can be a little slow around here but i'm sure someone will be around soon who can talk to you and help you figure out the next step.

I do want to say thank you for serving and protecting all of us. You are a brave man and smart to recognise that you are heading in the wrong direction with booze, beer or not.

we all know what we wish we had recognised at your age. (you're 8 years younger than my daughter). congrats on being a Dad and wanting your family to come first too.

what benefits do you have available through military service?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR

Reaching out to get help is the first step in starting to recover. I can't tell from your post but have you realized that you're an alcoholic? That alcohol stands to take everything you hold dear from you? That alcohol has hurt your relationship with your wife and your daughter?

You're my age. We're too young to throw our wives away for the bottle. I've been struggling with staying sober since I was 21.

What you need to do is stop drinking. I've never heard that discontinuing drinking while taking anti-depressents is dangerous but alcohol withdrawal is.

You need to get yourself into a detox program where you can be medically monitored while you go through detox. Then you need to start attending meets, working on the steps or some other form of therapy for your alcoholism. Meetings work for a lot of people

Have you gone to one yet? Go to one today. Listen to the stories. Get some numbers. See yourself in these people. What they've lost. It was at my first meeting that I realized wow I am these people. I have a problem with alcohol.

I can't imagine the things you saw over in Afghanistan. I'd imagine that must have been incredibly difficult. I bet they have programs specifically targeted to help soldiers. Have you been evaluated for PTSD? My ex from a while ago had PTSD and started using to deal with it. He lost everything before he started getting the help he needed.

Don't let that happen to you. Get the help you need now, you know you can't live like this anymore.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was scared to detox as well, and so I checked in at our local ER and did it safely. Considering you're also on prescription meds, that may be a good idea. After you safely detox, you'll be given the option to go from there to a rehab, or go home (this is the way it works here anyway, unless they consider you a danger to yourself or others). I went through this very recently so feel free to message me.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done for getting yourself on here. What you drink doesn't seem to be the issue, it's how much we/I/you drink. It sounds like you're not enjoying it anymore and that maybe you want to quit. I don't know if it's deadly to stop whilst on anti-depressants. I'm no doctor, but I know stopping cold turkey nearly killed me a few times!!
Try and see a doctor.
Proud of ya :-)!!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, chwithad! As Fandy said, thank you for your service. I'm sorry for what you experienced and for the impact it had on you.

I hope you'll seek a doctor's advice, especially since you take meds for depression. You're very wise to reach out for help. At your age I'd never have had the sense to see what alcohol was doing to me. You've acknowledged it, and that's half the battle. You have some good suggestions already. I hope reading and posting here will help ease your anxiety. You aren't alone anymore.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just want to welcome you to SR, thank you very much for your service, and give you my best wishes!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My 2 cents' worth: Bless your heart and thank you for serving, for one! I, too, have PTSD but from abuse and have been on antid's for years. If you have any concerns I'd call your doc who prescribes or get medical advice, for sure, which folks can't really do on this site. BUT, this site is awesome! There are many modalities here (different groups) and one will surely feel like home. This IS family here, and some amazing people and incredible support. My guess would be that if your wife knows you're getting help it will make her happy. But you have to do this for you. I helped me to read through these threads to see who/what I connected with. We're here for us, and here for you <3
Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One of the things you can do when on antidepressant pills is drink. It does not work. Only drinking for a year and half is a sign that your brain can't process the alcohol correctly. Might be a good time to quit drinking all together before it gets worst. 10 beers a day will go to 24 real quick if you only drank that long. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You'll find lots of support and understanding here

I didn't know quitting alcohol can be dangerous whilst taking anti-depressants... I did it :/ - but that is not to say I think you should, everyone is different. I didn't see a dr, though I should have. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous regardless of whether you take any medication, so maybe making an appointment to discuss this with your dr would be a good idea.

I am 24 so about the same age as you - please don't think there is anything unusual about being sober at our age. Age makes no difference in this, and regardless of the stereotypes of alcoholics we have in our minds, it takes people of all ages and from all walks of life.

You CAN do this. Have you considered going to AA? Looking into other recovery methods? There are many and all work wonders for different people.

You're not alone - we are all here behind you.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome chwithad

It's always a good idea to get a Drs input when quitting...but especially when other meds are involved.

You'll find a lot of support here and encouragement
Glad to have you with us

D
Old 08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome chwithad -

One of the hardest parts of this is admitting we have a problem and reaching out for help. If you're like us, though, you've probably tried many times to cut back on your drinking and found it only gets worse.

I'd definitely call the VA and see what help is available in your area. Here's a link:
Facilities in Virginia - Locations

You're definitely not alone in this - we understand and are here to support you.