Notices

Working at the Winery Today

Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working at the Winery Today

Day 6, wish me luck and strength. I am getting ready to go to my part-time job at the winery. Doing some focused meditation and prayers to strengthen my resolve. I can do this, I know I can. I can't drink while working anyway, just taste and spit when opening a bottle. I will pass that off to a co-worker today. After work we typically have a glass of wine or two and divide up the dumps (wine we can't serve the next day). I will just say no and head home.

Got a date with DH to celebrate our 14th anniversary tonight. Told him I'm not drinking, so no worries at dinner with him.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I admire your resolve with being able to taste and spit and not swallow.

Sounds kinda crazy to me but i suppose we all have different boundarys with such things.
Even after having a vodka soaked tomato put in my mouth my resolve did'nt waver, so maybe you can do it with this . I suppose if i found the temptation too much though i'd have to quit the job .
Now i think i'd have such a violent emotional responce to alcohol that with even tasting it i would throw up .

Good luck and bestwishes with it , M
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I could not work at a winery
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IMHO you need to find a different job
Old 08-12-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What I meant was that while you are working you taste and spit, not drink BUT I will not be doing any of it. Just pouring the wine for folks then getting out of there fast.

If I can't handle it, I will quit. I may lose interest in it longer term anyway.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Congratulations on the 6 days and the aniversary
Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 6 days. That is definitely going to be a test of your willpower, but you can do it - if you are not expected to drink (or even taste and spit - I wouldn't do that either) then there is no problem working around alcohol if you are 100% behind your decision to be sober. I have worked ad hoc in a bar since been sober and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm not sure how I'd have felt having only 6 days, though. Like everyone else has said, if you find that it is proving difficult then I would look elsewhere for work - only you know yourself, though, so only you can decide what is best for you. Just remember being sober is the most important thing right now all the best to you and I hope you and your husband have a lovely evening.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you are doing wonderful. I just caution anyone who is an alcoholic and especially newly sober not to work around alcohol if at all possible. I know jobs are hard to come by these days, but in the long run you will have better job possibilities and good work ethics if you remain sober

Hugs, MC
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck departure

I suppose that seeing as you can't drink during work then the only problem lies in what you do afterwards (barring that taste and spit thing. That you should definitely avoid). I think there are quite a few people on here who work in bars or restaurants and therefore can't avoid being around alcohol. I have to entertain clients quite often for work and that certainly involves being around a lot of booze too. It isn't ideal but it isn't impossible. You just need that extra bit of resolve and vigilance, which you have, so well done x
Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I can bartend, and even make my favorite drink for someone else, but could not do the taste and spit thing I don't think. I hate wine anyway, but I think tasting alcohol would probably get me going and make my AV really happy!!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy Anniversary and congratulations on 6 wonderful days. Keep on the path - you're gonna love it!!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Work went OK. Didn't open any wine, so no tasting and spitting. After work was the test, but I just said no thanks when someone suggested I try one of the special wines. Just had a glass of water instead and went home empty handed.

So, I talked to DH briefly about dinner and he asked if I was going to have wine with dinner. I said I don't think so. I was immediately disappointed in my weak answer. So I followed it up with a firm no.

So we got to the restaurant and I was suprised that there were zero non-alcoholic drinks listed on the menu! Never noticed it before. I asked if they had Perrier or Pellegrino. So that's what I had. DH too. It was strange not having wine with a special dinner out, but fine. When we were done with dinner, they brought out a dessert and glass of dessert wine - they didn't ask us what we wanted for dessert or if we wanted the dessert wine or coffee. I felt pretty upset by it. Both having the wine brought to the table and not being given any choice in any of it.

Anyway, I was glad when the day was done. Feel like I am just making it through each day rather than living and enjoying moments of them. I do believe, however, that I will get to that turning point.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by departure View Post
When we were done with dinner, they brought out a dessert and glass of dessert wine - they didn't ask us what we wanted for dessert or if we wanted the dessert wine or coffee. I felt pretty upset by it. Both having the wine brought to the table and not being given any choice in any of it.
Did you drink it?

It will get easier! What are you doing every day that you find enjoyable? I had to really consciously do things for fun.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No, I did not drink it. DH had a sip, said it was good.

Today so far we are working on some chores to to get ready for repair work starting tomorrow. Heading out to the hardware store soon with DH and the kids, then lunch. I was thinking about taking the boys to the park so they can play and I was going to walk a few miles around the path. Then it's cooking for dinner and a few things for the week.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds good, (though it wouldn't have worked for me).

Enjoy your day!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe they can transfer you to the grape picking dept. at winery? Fresh air, sunshine....
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can probably relate to you more than most here..I just left my career to stay sober...I was a State Wine Manager for a pretty large distributor and I didn't want to risk my sobriety..It took a lot for me to come to that decision. I thought I could handle it, but then I conceded that it was for the best not to even try..While I am unemployed right now and left a career I was very successful in. I know that my sobriety is the most important thing..I can make another career, but I can't make another me..