Notices

Hello everyone :)

Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone :)

My name is Travis and I'm 29 years old from Austin, TX.

Wanted to say hi to all you lovely people, and I hope to become a regular poster here.

I use to be energetic and happy and confident and in shape... and full of life. My parents ask me all the time what has happened to their boy? When I ask to talk, the first thing they do is pour me a drink. The drink is my problem! They don't understand this.

Where did I go wrong... how could I have allowed this to happen ? I drink between 6 - 12 beers or wine a night since I was 21. The only reason I don't drink even more is I just run out of money. When I start earning more I am real afraid, I don't trust myself to earn more money right now. I have had a good upbringing and I think my younger brothers followed my example - they are all very heavy drinkers like me.

I set an appointment to see my doctor on Monday to talk about my drinking habits. The last time I talked to her, she asked specifically about how much I drink and I lied. But I am pretty sure she didn't believe me.

I am 29 and meeting my doctor to talk about my drinking is going to be the HARDEST thing I have ever done in my entire life, and it's going to be embarrassing. Has anyone else ever done this? Please comment... It has to happen because I failed to quit on my own and I can feel my body slowing down and losing its health.

Anyways. My goal is to begin my 30s a new sober man totally alcohol free and have new friends that are alcohol free.

Thanks for reading. I am going to go back to bed now because I have a headache. :S
Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Travis:

Getting this problem addressed at your age is a great thing to do.
Be honest with your Dr and let us know what she says.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your doc is there to help you, not judge you.
welcome to sr!
Being honest w/your doctor is important.
Telling your parents and expecting them to get when the whole family drinks heavily might be tougher
Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....I lied about my drinking into my fifties....It cost me everything. Get honest with yourself....It will be a great relief for you.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Travis I am 31, I went and talked to my Dr. 2 weeks ago. I asked him if I could try Campral, it helps you quit drinking. He asked if I had a problem, how much and was glad to write the prescription.

It is embarrassing asking for help, bu it is more embarrassing not to ask.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My depression treatment wasn't working, and my Dr. asked me how much I was drinking. Of course, I lied. That's what I used to do. I told her that I was drinking about a third of what the real number was. I was told to 'see if I could control it to two drinks a day'.
The day came when I came clean, and told her that I had really been drinking a couple dozen, and that I hadn't had a drink in a week. I was watching her reaction very closely, and she didn't even bat an eye. She just got on with the rest of the conversation, no judgement, just a recognition and a congratulations.

Travis, do this thing. You won't be judged, you will just get to hear what you need to do next, for your health and for your future. I wish you the best.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think being a little embarrassed is going to be a lot better than the alternative. Embarrassment will last only a few minutes but your drinking problem can last a lifetime. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Welcome to SR, iWillBSobr
Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great step in making an appointment with your doctor.

I tried to find resources on my own, including using my health insurance hotline, but kept coming up empty handed. My doctor was the only resource left to me. She hooked me up with a psychiatrist, who in turned gave me names of therapists. My PCP also ordered blood tests and focused on nutrition.

There was no judgement on her part. Please don't feel embarrassed...doctors deal with this all of the time. Your doctor picked up on signals earlier that led her to question how much you drank; many doctors don't recognize the signs, so I think you are in good hands. Your lying about how much you drank is typical for an alcoholic who was not ready to admit to himself or others the extent of the problem. Now is the time to be honest with both yourself and your doctor.

Good luck tomorrow...if you are at all like me, you'll walk out of your appointment with a sense of relief that you have finally taken a firm step forward in tackling this beast.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

travis,

Another Austinite here! I think it is great that you are recognizing and acting on it right now - you are right....you can have a great next decade! Ditto what the others said about the doctor. Going to the doctor is the best first step that you can take. Congratulations on "seeing the light". Stopping this progressive disease right now is the best thing that you can do for yourself.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey there. When you asked "how did I let this happen?". IMO this is not your fault. Right now is the time for you to be the most comforting friend you can be to yourself. The Dr will help. We are all here for you and have been in the same waters. Hang in there.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My bad...."how could I have allowed this to happen?"....I don't want to misquote ya.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had the same doctor for my since I was about 10 and he also treats my father. I came to him with my drinking problem. It was embarrassing, but he helped me immensely. He prescribed Campral, and I have been sober and loving it since June 11th
Old 08-12-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Travis

Some great advice here - I hope you'll follow through and speak to your Dr

D
Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Travis!

Glad you've decided to do this..... It's scary, but don't let that hold you back. You're making a great decision for yourself and I'm sure your doctor will be very proud of you.

We're here for you, too, so keep reading and posting!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wanted to give a big thank you to every one who posted in here and welcomed me. I feel a lot better! I have been coming back throughout the day and re-reading this thread.

Seeing so many other people here who have slain their beasts gives me a lot of encouragement.

I already feel differently about this forth attempt at quitting. With my doctors assistance all of you here I shall succeed and I will give my mother her oldest son back! =)