Notices

6 months

Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months

Hey all -

Sorry I havent been around for awhile, just been busy with work & meetings etc. I go most weeks without even opening my laptop, just doing everything on my phone. So I dont get much chance to login. Anyways...

I had 6 months sober back on July 30. Seemed to have really hit a stride there for awhile, picked up some chips & led a meeting as a celebrate of my 6 months (this meeting place does that). Still working like crazy, but its gotten better as I feel I finally have a full grasp on the job. Def not a career, but good for now.

Im still sticking to eating better, but sadly with working 11 hour days and still making 5-8 meetings a week the exercise routine has fallen by the wayside. I will join a gym soon, currently pricing them out (i think Ive been saying this for months, haha). But I have other motivations to join the gym, thats simply to branch out more and meet more people. I changed my eating habits when I got sober (Jan 30), and have lost over 105 lbs since. Still have a ways to go, and the gym will def help that. Been casually dating, but nothing relationship-wise. All was/is thoroughly discussed with sponsor & network beforehand and during, so Im good there.

Last week+ Ive been getting a little squirrely. Like I just wigged out last Saturday while sitting at work (heading into MY weekend, sunday & monday off) and changed up my plans. Then wigged out even more when I was outside my usual meeting, with literally 30 ppl I know well and am friendly with, and I was just standing there talking to no one.

Like felt all alone in a room full of friends. Been getting that feeling a lot lately. Ive been sharing about it with my network & some at meetings, but the feeling makes me want to isolate and fall on old habits. I havent been close to drinking (I dont think, at least) but just some feelings of isolation that havent been around for months. Thinking of changing up my meetings and just making sure I am having fun when I can and not taking things too serious. One friend said its probably just the 6 month blahs...another said maybe its my depression and I need to speak to my doctor again (never put on meds, I turned them down). But anyways, overall good but some weird feelings of isolation that lead me down dark paths have been coming up lately. Btw these isolation feelings came after a particularly AA High week - I made amends to my Mother & Father and got my 6 month chip. So part of me thinks its just a fall back to earth after those big moments...but it was pretty bad. Im better, but not all the way back, now.

I hope everyone is doing well. I miss this place and hope to find time to login more often. Take care.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you again Shane.

Whatever you decide the cause of your blahs are...know you can always log in here for support

congrats on 6 months!

D
Old 08-12-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Feelings are not facts. Things continue to change. Hang in there, you are kicking goals
Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You've done AWESOME! Congrats on 6 months
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months - that's fantastic well done you.

Sorry to hear you're feeling low at the moment. I think the 'crashing back to reality' makes sense, as does the 6 month blahs. I'd say try not to focus on it too much, because it probably will pass in a short period of time. Keep doing what you do and what you love, and if you're not feeling like yourself soon, perhaps it is time to see the dr.

All the best to you and congrats again x
Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad to see your name, I've been wondering where you went!

Congrats on 6 months! Sounds like things are moving forward for you. Your feelings are "normal" in the first year & will change again. Things keep getting different.

I think you should call WAIA today some time between 1-4 to talk

Happy Sunday!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shane,

Impressive!!! 6 months sober and lost 105 lbs? That is incredible. Yeah, I think we all get the blahs sometimes - I don't have an answer for it, except to say that I think it has something to do with getting used to a sober life. Heck, before I quit drinking if I felt like that I would just numb myself - that is not good. Take care, and pat yourself on the back. You are doing great.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats on six months, Shane! Glad you checked in here. This place is my rock to keep away from the lonelies. I get that feeling in some meetings I attend as well, but not lately.

Keep the success rolling!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Shane on 6 months & 105 lbs!
That's incredible!
The blahs are normal & I think even non drinkers get them.
You gotta just ride the waves out. It will change & then change again. That's life, constantly evolving....
Be good to yourself! You've done awesome!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on 6 months Shane

I found your post really inspiring (anticipating my own 6 months too) and I admire all the effort you're putting in. I think it's excusable to be a bit wigged out sometimes and a relief to know it's not just me Thanks for posting this x
Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((Shane))) - Congratulations on 6 months!! FWIW, when I first got here (okay, so I lurked for close to 2 years) but I read a lot of people say they got squirrely on anniversary dates..3 mos., 6 mos., a year, etc. They say it gets better as time goes on.

I remembered that, and whenever I've had an anniversary come up, I cling to SR more than usual. I particularly read posts of those who have not yet found recovery or those who went back out to remind me of what I'm NOT missing.

You are doing great!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Shane you're doing great. That feeling that you describe, I believe all of us addicts/alcoholics know it intimately. I don't think there's one of us that haven't experienced that feeling of discontent, isolation, restlessness. For a lucky few, they've transcended their negative thoughts/emotions and it's a thing of the past. For me personally, and I believe for most, it still comes and goes to various degrees. I've learned that if I take care of what I can control and remain adhered to spiritual principles, it provides a foundation to stay balanced enough that my sobriety and anything else important aren't threatened even when I do get nutty. I've actually learned to appreciate my negative thoughts/emotions, because it keeps me in line and motivated by giving me a fresh reminder me of what I don't want, and how much worse it will get if I don't put in the work.

I'm sure at 6 months you have a system that works - stick to that and don't worry too much the weird days, they pass.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on 6 months Shane, and on being honest with what you're going through.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very cool Shane! Hope that the doldrums go away. This is real life it seems
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all. SR has been paramount in my journey. I posted on here with only about 2 days sober and due to gentle suggestions, I checked out my first AA meeting on day 12. Ive averaged 1 meeting a day since & always give credit to SR for the first gentle push (ok, push isnt the right word, as it was more ppl saying it worked for them so wouldnt hurt to try) in AA.

The blahs are better, but not back to me yet. Was mostly back but my car is kaput and have been used car shopping and the overwhelming-ness of it is knocking me through a loop. It is kindve exciting, but real life decisions and commitments being made so of course the alchololic in me just wants to hole up in my basement and escape via tv/internet/playstation. This scares me. Thats old Rob & he is not welcome here anymore, haha. Also, my network seems to all be dealing with their own stuff lately, and its caused all of us to sortve isolate. Taking proper steps & getting down to basics (meetings, phone calls, sharing-sharing-sharing) have helped.

I LOVE coming back on here and just reading posts. Really focuses me on whats important. Thanks for the support, hope all are well.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done.

That is kind of the way it is. Every few months.
Change gears and keep on trucking.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months!