confused and scared

Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

confused and scared

Well I apparently had no clue how much my mom drank until about a year ago, when she had major fall and broke both ankles drunk one night. She got very lucky, recovered from that and went right back to same routine. Its affecting her mind now, shes only 71 and some days its like she has alzhiemers. Ive had her evaluated and the booze has done damage to her brain. I thought that would be wake up call but i believe shes at it again. I want her to go to rehab, have an appt to get her evaluated for a place and she has agreed to go to eval, just wondering if anyone else has had luck getting parent with obvious cognitive issues to get into one, and does it work. Any info would be welcome. Im an only child and my dad passed away about 5 years ago...that was the beggining of the end for the majorproblems. Shes prob been a heavy drinker for 20 plus years. Thanks, jlm
Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess i always knew my mom drank, but didnt realize how bad the situation had become till about a year ago. My mothers side of family has long history of alcoholism
Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello jenlyn, and welcome to our corner of SoberRecovery

I'm sorry to hear that your Mom is causing herself so much harm. I can't even imagine how upset you must be.

Originally Posted by jenlyn View Post
...just wondering if anyone else has had luck getting parent with obvious cognitive issues to get into one, and does it work. Any info would be welcome. ...
It depends on the type of cognitive issues. Some rehabs are able to handle that, others are not. You have to make sure you shop around the rehabs and find out which ones can handle her specific needs. You mention that you are having her evaluated, if that particular rehab cannot help you then ask them to refer you to one that does.

We have a lot of information for you in the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum and over in the forum "next door"

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You can also post your questions "next door" and see if the folks over there have direct experience that can help you.

I'm sorry you are going thru this, but I'm glad you decided to join us.

Mike
Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for info on threads