Notices

12 steps

Old 08-11-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 steps

Why do all the steps involve finding god ? It seems to put me off AA. Is there anything else out there that doesn't involve religion.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Count

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a secular, non 12 step approach

D
Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sure is Try AVRT or SMART. Google the non religious 12 steps too if you want to do AA without a heavy emphasis on the God bit x I guess it depends on where your meetings are too. Where I am no one seems to have been comfortable with the religious aspects of AA. I figure if they can find a way round it so can I.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help. Been sober and clean for just over a month, but think I would benefit from help from others.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Count View Post
Why do all the steps involve finding god ? It seems to put me off AA. Is there anything else out there that doesn't involve religion.
All the Steps don't.

I think it's interesting that alcohol is only mentioned in the first 1/2 of the First Step. Kinda puts it in perspective....
I have a 5% drinking problem and a 95% thinking problem.

Second 1/2 of the First Step says "Our lives had become unmanageable". That means I was a poor manager and I need a new one. That would be God.
My God is my Higher Power "of my understanding".

Certainly it puts us off AA... I thought I was the G.D. smartest SOB in the universe. Imagine my dismay when I discovered I wasn't ??!!

AA doesn't involve religion at all. Read the Big Book.

Since turning my life over to the best of my ability in '89 I found I didn't have to drink again and my life got a whole lot better.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 08-11-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Count, I am a strong believer in the ability and wisdom inherent in each of us. I admire your strength and courage, and suggest you take a look into SMART recovery, and AVRT. I looked into different sobriety methods, and looked for evidence based ideas rather than faith based ideas, and I ended up with AVRT. Take a look, you may find that it interests you too.