Been reading about AVRT

Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Been reading about AVRT

I have not been going to meetings lately, but also don't want to start drinking again. I just want to get on with my life sober.

When reading on-line about AVRT and the beast...without knowing it this is similar to the way I overcame anorexia and bulimia. I always thought of my ED as a separate entity of my brain out to get me. It thought differently than I, it wanted different things than I, and it wanted to starve me to death or purge me into insanity. Everyday I fought against my ED beast and did not allow it to make my decisions. That was 16 years ago.

Recovery for my ED was not a lifelong process (going to daily mtg, calling people to talk about it...) I overcame it an got on with life. This is how I want my addiction recovery to go. I'm 111 days clean and sober. It's time to move on with life. I don't want to talk about recovery every day and think about recovery every day. I just want to live.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there, Aeo, good to see you over here. Yeah, like you, I was applying AVRT techniques before I ever heard of AVRT. Not surprising, since RR's approach is based on the experiences of people who self-recovered.

The one down side? These forums at a bit slow--people are out living, just like you said!

Have you read the AVRT threads TU started? Great stuff there.

Ok, off to play outside on this fine day. Glad to see you posting here!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Aeo1313, it is wonderful to hear this, it actually makes me excited! It is so great to see you here and making that post.

There are more than a few of us who discovered AVRT after using it for months, and I was one of them. Recognize the thought to use/drink (and self doubt too) as the addict's voice, not yours. Make your commitment to never use again, no matter what, and get on with things! I am so happy for you.

I hope that you don't leave us behind, along with your addiction, Aeo, even though that really is the idea after all. Keep dropping in and sharing, it is what keeps this side of SR alive.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
Recovery for my ED was not a lifelong process (going to daily mtg, calling people to talk about it...) I overcame it an got on with life. This is how I want my addiction recovery to go. I'm 111 days clean and sober. It's time to move on with life. I don't want to talk about recovery every day and think about recovery every day. I just want to live.
Way cool. Welcome!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I was applying AVRT techniques before I ever heard of AVRT.
Same here, nice to hear someone else say it though.

For me so far, I think the use in discovering AVRT has been in the reassurance knowing other people's approaches to recovery have mirrored my own. For so long, I feel I've been in a limbo, not wanting to use but feeling without seeking outside support I am not 'recovering' either. Before Dee gave me a heads up about AVRT, I was second guessing my instincts to the detriment of my 'recovery'.

Now, I'm feeling much more empowered and happy to roll with my instincts, which largely mirror the AVRT model, instead of questioning them quite so much. And, so far, its been proving very liberating.

I hope you guys are experiencing or experience similarily positive things, should you decide to give AVRT a go.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have did the AVRT crash course or i should say read it and it seems pretty interesting if this works i would much prefer it to aa with all the meetings ,etc like the op said i agree i just wanna live not constantly deal with recovery everyday lol
Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I wish you the best of success with this, Jeff. Be confident in yourself that you can do this, right? You have to know that you will do this, and you will succeed.

You can't be saying 'if this works...' because that says that maybe you aren't sure, maybe you won't get sober with AVRT. You will learn to recognize the smell of your AV in statements like that - it is your AV that is saying 'if'.

A different way to say the same thing is 'Since this worked, I am sober now and don't have to go to meetings'. Say the same thing, but always make the statement that you will succeed.

One more thing, AVRT does not 'work', you are the one that will make this work. I know you can do it, Jeff, you have this power within you to do this. We all do. Please keep posting, OK?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can do it and I will do it
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I read the books years after recovering. It would be good to do, even just as an intellectual exercise. Fine tuning some of what I instinctually knew was good for me.

Glad you are here. And yeah....there are lots of self-recovered around.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good man Jeff, that's the attitude
Old 09-16-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I last drank on Sunday. I did the AVRT crash course on Monday, and had the 1996 Rational Recovery book delivered on Wednesday.

So far so good.

I'm more than a little suspicious that the author is off his rocker, and there are parts of the book that are dodgy, but the basic idea seems sound. At least it's not setting off my fairly highly tuned bullcrap detector.

Colour me impressed.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Welcome Jakkolantern! I actually haven't read the book...just been kind of doing my own thing. I don't drink or take drugs. I make choices in life that I know are the right thing to do. I hang around people that make me feel good. I treat my body with respect and kindness. I have confidence in myself that I can do all these things.

Keep posting and hang in there. You CAN do this!!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I read the books years after recovering. It would be good to do, even just as an intellectual exercise. Fine tuning some of what I instinctually knew was good for me.

Glad you are here. And yeah....there are lots of self-recovered around.
I still remember a post many months ago you made to me when I went out to a bar with co-workers on the last day of work when I only had a few weeks of recovery. You voiced what I was thinking and I thank you for that.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jakkolantern View Post
I last drank on Sunday. I did the AVRT crash course on Monday, and had the 1996 Rational Recovery book delivered on Wednesday.

So far so good.
This is setting off my fairly highly tuned AV detector.

What exactly do you mean by so far, Jakkolantern?

Might you change your mind and start drinking again later?

Is this a one-day-at-a-time experiment, to see how it goes?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Jakkolantern
I'm more than a little suspicious that the author is off his rocker, and there are parts of the book that are dodgy, but the basic idea seems sound.
It is possible that JT is off his rocker, of course it's all relative. No more off his rocker than those of us who continue to poison ourselves for years upon years despite every manner of negative consequence. The addicted could most certainly be classified as off their rockers. Dismissing what you're reading based on a bias about the author is purely AV. You do understand that, yes?
Personally, I do think he is slightly off his rocker. Luckily that has nothing to do with the compilation of ideas he gathered from the self-recovered population.
Originally Posted by Jakkolantern
At least it's not setting off my fairly highly tuned bullcrap detector.
Make sure you turn that finely tuned instrument toward your addiction. Obviously the Beast has somehow circumvented the bullcrap detector because as long as you listen to it and remain actively addicted then you're buying that swampland in FL. The AV is the most skilled con artist there is. When you can detect its BS, then you will be a master.
Originally Posted by aeo1313
You voiced what I was thinking and I thank you for that.
You're welcome. Sometimes in the world of "recovery", one only has credibility if they have time under their belt. I don't subscribe to that and I have no problem saying so. It only takes one moment in time to make a change. I will never drink again and I will never change my mind....
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Avrt

Originally Posted by Jakkolantern View Post

So far so good.

I'm more than a little suspicious that the author is off his rocker, and there are parts of the book that are dodgy, but the basic idea seems sound. At least it's not setting off my fairly highly tuned bullcrap detector.

Colour me impressed.
You know, I got that same impression (of the author not being all there) which is why it has taken me so long to complete the book. I had to convince myself that it will work. I am implementing the basic premise of the book and I did have a slip but found just as he predicted that I felt sad and did not enjoy it and quickly stopped. I cannot fathom the idea of daily meetings forever. So I am sticking with this. Just funny to find someone who thought the same thing about the author.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The entire concept that people will continue to do things voluntarily that can have no positive effect and that will erode health, intelligence, talent, relationships with self and others, confidence, appearance, ability, judgment, productivity, reliability, skills of every sort, civility --- that's a bit of a crackpot situation. Good common sense and normal survival instincts overturned by the crackpot voice of addiction. Identifying that voice so as to silence it, to rob it of all power, does not seem so crackpot to me.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One of the things that I like about Trimpey is that he never asked me to take his word for anything. Results—that's what matters.

I don't drink anymore. I'd be crazy to argue with that.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Actually, I'll take that a step further: One of the things that I like about AVRT is that I am not asked to place my trust in anything other than myself. There's no program, no process, no promises, and no power other than my own. It's all up to me. Sweet.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
This is setting off my fairly highly tuned AV detector.

What exactly do you mean by so far, Jakkolantern?

Might you change your mind and start drinking again later?

Is this a one-day-at-a-time experiment, to see how it goes?
No, it's not the AV. It's an acknowledgment that I'm strictly speaking about my past performance in this context. My future performance is unimportant in voicing my opinion on the efficacy of the technique. The past is record. The future is my own, and aeo1313 need not be concerned with it.

I have my "big plan" in place just fine.

I'm an empiricist, after all.