Notices

Anyone experience with Topamax

Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone experience with Topamax

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with TopaMax.
I have severe migraines, but am also a binge drinker/eater. From what I have been able to gather online, this may be a toolappropriate for me. The side effects sound a little heavy, but on the surface it sounds promising.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Two of my kids were on topomax for migraines and found it quite effective. I was surprised to see it recommended to help with alcohol cessation - but it is supposed to be effective for that too. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I work in assisted living and I've had a few ladies who are quickly taken off this medication a few months after it's prescribed. It has a lot of nasty side effects. I'd honestly try something else if I were you. There are lots of pill that can be helpful for migraines that aren't as bad side effects wise

My suggestion would be try something else and if that doesn't work then maybe you can try this. Everyone is different however so maybe you wouldn't have the bad effects.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katan View Post
Two of my kids were on topomax for migraines and found it quite effective. I was surprised to see it recommended to help with alcohol cessation - but it is supposed to be effective for that too. Good luck!
The quick unscientific answer is that Topmax makes fizzy drinks taste nasty.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it makes everything taste like you are chewing on aluminum foil. I was on it for about 8 months for headaches.

however, it is often also prescribed off label for weight loss......just be.en FDA approved in combination drug with phentermine as a new diet drug...it will be out in Sept. under the name Qsymia. they shot down Qnexa last year.

I think the drug company is Vivus. their stock is way up