Notices

Help, please...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help, please...

I am not new to recovery... I have struggled for 5 years now. I just can't seem to stay sober. My longest stretch has been 10 months with several 6 monthers. My "excuse" is that it is not that bad. Yesterday I woke up sick and had to cancel work... a first for me. I need my abstinence to *stick*.

I have seen counselors who think that I don't have alcoholism after telling the *truth*... only I know and I *do*.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

My suggestion is to listen to yourself and not others about your alcoholism. You know what's going on and what you need to do.

I would ask you what changes you made in your life during the extended periods of sobriety, besides stopping drinking? It could be that making some lifestyle changes would help you to stay sober long-term. I think you will find lots of support here, so I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have made *huge* changes... I get tripped up by the romancing the drink in the moment... "just tonight".
Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

perhaps you are beginning to see that "just for tonight" doesn't happen...at least not regularly...

I agree that those around us often don't see our alchoholism untill we are in the depths. If you believe you are caught in the drink....who cares what others say!

There is hope and I hope you find it here.

Ananda
Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello gutzylucy:

I found lasting sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion". "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if they apply to you .. if you can identify.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lucy-

You need to CRASH the idea you keep flirting with, that is - ability to drink like normal person.

Until you admit and accept powerlessness over alcohol, things will not get better.

That has been my experience. I too stayed in that cycle for good 7 years before finally getting sober...

Lots of help out there Lucy ! AA was key for me, together with a great doctor/therapist to uncover WHY I drank in the first place, what the underlying issues are etc...

Alcoholism is progressive. Beware, it kills.

Good news, - you do not have to drink again... Take a deep breath or 3 and think about the freedom and new love you will have...

All the best !!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Lucy, you seem to be able to stay sober for months at a time, but that sneaky voice creeps up behind you and tells you those lies that we have all heard so many times before. There are several ways to deal with that idea of going back to the bottle 'because it's not that bad', when we both know how horrible it can be.

One of these ways teaches you how to identify that voice and separate yourself from it, so even though it blathers on, you never have to struggle with it again. It is called Addictive Voice Recognition Technique, and you can learn about it in SR's Sober Connections forum. It might be just the thing you need.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have sat with this and I am *GRATEFUL* for this feedback which resonates as true for me.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lucy

I too have had a lot of 'it wasn't that bad' thoughts which invariably lead to those 'maybe I can drink like a normal person one day...'

I think there is a point where we have to draw a line in the sand though. I know I always had thoughts that I would stop if... but truth be told, I carried on drinking for months after a neurologist told me I needed to stop completely, and I think the final straw was that it was beginning to effect my working life.

I think even people with liver disease have had those 'It wasn't so bad' thoughts too.

Have you used anything to help you quit before? AVRT really helped me to shut up that chatter in my head.

I hope you find the support you need here x
Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear from you, Lucy, and that you're doing well.