Notices

90 something days sober...

Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 something days sober...

Well I'm at 90 something days without drinking. The withdraws/PAWS are mostly gone with the exception of some occasional anxiety (especially while driving). My social anxiety is mostly gone though and I've had a few successful presentations to the big wigs at work (which terrified me before). My sleep cycle is 100% back to normal and I've lost 20 pounds just by cutting out rum and coke.

However, I do notice I have a lot less patience than when I was drinking. I used to drink and ignore other people's stupidity and now I have to deal with it. I wish I wouldn't get as worked up over other people's actions, but so often they directly affect me and it really gets to me that they are so inconsiderate or oblivious.

Anyways, I just wanted to let people know that things do get better. Things aren't perfect and I still have issues in my life, but dealing with them sober is better than dealing with them under the influence. Stick with it folks. It's well worth it.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Congratulations on the 90 something ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome ! Congrats !!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YAY! COngrats!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post! Congratulations! I love hearing the success stories, they help me along x
Old 08-10-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days. Couple of questions: what are PAWs? Also, is anxiety and panic while driving common for heavy alcohol users? I have noticed that my seemingly chronic panic and startle reflex while driving has diminished dramatically with almost 2 months sobriety. So many benefits that keep showing up! I too have noticed that I speak up more often to give my opinion whereas I used to have silent dialogue with myself and sometimes it's way more honest than people are accustomed to hearing. Thinking I may need to put on a few edits!!!!! Getting to know the me free of alcohol is interesting.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations walktheline

D
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Funny, when drinking I had a high tolerance for alcohol but practically zero for others stupidity and oblivion. Now, a few days shy of 7 months sober, I have zero tolerance for alcohol. The irritation factor towards others is a work in progress but I am trying to be a kinder, gentler human being. My vocal filter works much better now, but occassionaly it gets a big ole hole in it and out comes the frustration and impatience. Keep up the great work, WTL1. Together, by staying stopped, we can become even better people, day by day. Happy weekend!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auvers View Post
Congrats on 90 days. Couple of questions: what are PAWs? Also, is anxiety and panic while driving common for heavy alcohol users? I have noticed that my seemingly chronic panic and startle reflex while driving has diminished dramatically with almost 2 months sobriety. So many benefits that keep showing up! I too have noticed that I speak up more often to give my opinion whereas I used to have silent dialogue with myself and sometimes it's way more honest than people are accustomed to hearing. Thinking I may need to put on a few edits!!!!! Getting to know the me free of alcohol is interesting.
Auvers: PAWS stands for post acute withdraw symptoms. It's what happens after the initial withdraws while your brain is still adjusting. Mine consisted of mostly depression and anxiety. It can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few years. I'll be fine for a few weeks and then I get slapped with it out of nowhere. It seems like this is most people's experience that I've talked to.

Also, the panic while driving (or doing anything) is relatively common. I know some people (myself included) become very agoraphobic while drinking because of the anxiety.

Good luck on your journey and feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 90 something days! That's a wonderful achievement, good for you!

My tolerance for other people's behaviour has lessened, too. I've attributed this mostly to the fact that I feel far better about myself now and I understand my own wants and needs much more than I used to, when I was drinking. I had such low self esteem and little to no confidence, and if anyone did something that I didn't agree with, or said something to put me down, or put me in a position where I felt like I had no choice to go along with it despite it not being in my best interests, I did it anyway, because I didn't feel like I deserved to be heard. Not the same any more, I can tell you! I'm very vocal now (perhaps too vocal) if I disagree with the way something is happening and if I feel as though I'm not being considered in other people's actions. It's been a shock for a lot of people, and sometimes I just wish I could go back to that person who let everyone else make decisions for me, go along with just about everything because it was easier to say yes than to stand up for my beliefs... etc. But then I realise that there are reasons why things upset/anger me, so I wouldn't be doing anyone any favours by keeping quiet and bottling things up - it all comes out eventually, anyway.

Try not to be hard on yourself... if you're finding other people's behaviour to be irritating then there is probably good reason for that, and even though you may seem to be an angrier person than you were before... it's probably because now you're sober you're ready and willing to let the world know you're there and this is how you feel about it!

Congratulations again and I wish you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Excellent job!! :-)
You're doing brilliantly and helped me today as I realise that you and others have this "low tolerance" for others... I've become a grump, I will not stand for anything I perceive as crossing my boundaries, which is funny, as I've never had aboundary in my life :-)!!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Congrats on 90 days. I will be there soon too! I can't wait.