Ground Hog Day

Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ground Hog Day

Just like the movie here we are again, just like last August trying to get AH into a detox program. Last year it was truly hell on earth. Always a drinker his alcoholism went into overdrive and he went to the ER 4x after passing out on the floor, got kicked out of an outpatient program after 60 days when he showed up drunk. He then managed in the next week drink on the morning we were taking him to a 30 day program that the ER doc said he should have been dead (.54 - yes that is the right #). The 30 day program found him another bed after he spent several days in the hosp. psych ward detoxing. He finished the program, finished the 6 month outpatient and was going to AA. He (knock on wood) had never got a DUI but his reputation at work where he is a driver was shot. It took him the last year to get it back. I have been attending AlAnon meetings every few weeks as time allowed.

Then the last week in July, while I was away visiting family he fell off the wagon. Bad news. Said he could get back on. Can't. Told him that he either gets into detox or he needs to find a place to live. That shook him up. I gave him a big duffel. He packed and left this a.m. There wasn't any work and he came back. I told him he wasn't allowed here and he needed to call his family members and see if they had a bed for him OR find a bed at detox.

I just got a call from my son that they had a bed, the insurance was approved and they are on their way.

I stood my ground. Thank you AlAnon. Now my next decision is about my marriage of 24 years. In his drunken haze he kept yelling that he wanted a divorce. And of course when he sobers up says he doesn't mean it. I am at at point now that the divorce would be the right thing. I am tired of dealing with all of this. I need to relax and have more control in my life.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well done you on standing strong, i admire you for knowing whats best to do for him and you doing it. Next step on deciding on your marriage, good luck and go with what your head says. i'll be thinking of you
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Keep going to meetings...you doing good
Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You did GREAT.

You've been through a lot of stress, so no decisions that will affect the course of your life need to be made anytime soon.

The neutral tone of your post is so healthy. It is that kind of tone which works best for all involved: "You're drinking? Pack your bags. It is not my problem."

When the alcoholic realizes the wife is not going to mop up after him anymore, he just might become a functioning, recovering member of AA.

But that is not your problem, is it?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you English Garden. I thought he was a functioning member of AA for almost a year. It is up to him to prove it to himself again.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Winnie, sounds like you're thinking very clearly. Your boundaries are explicit, he knows them, and you are acting on them. With that in his mind, and after a year sober and in AA, he has more chance of owning his own behavior than many do, and a lot of that is due to you.

Isn't that funny, by NOT being responsible or accountable for his behavior, you may have impacted more than you could have by monitoring and guiding it.

Good luck as you think through what YOU want to do next.

BothSidesNow
Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Isn't that funny, by NOT being responsible or accountable for his behavior, you may have impacted more than you could have by monitoring and guiding it.
So true. Well handled winnie, your strength is shining through.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wouldn't put too much value into him saying (yelling) "I want a divorce"...he has no idea what he wants at this point...
Old 08-11-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mine has shouted "DIVORCE" at least twice a week for 12 years and can't understand why it has no impact. Yet when I left him, I had him crying and begging for 6 months. Nothing changed though...
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winnie1202 View Post
Just like the movie here we are again, just like last August trying to get AH into a detox program. Last year it was truly hell on earth. Always a drinker his alcoholism went into overdrive and he went to the ER 4x after passing out on the floor, got kicked out of an outpatient program after 60 days when he showed up drunk. He then managed in the next week drink on the morning we were taking him to a 30 day program that the ER doc said he should have been dead (.54 - yes that is the right #). The 30 day program found him another bed after he spent several days in the hosp. psych ward detoxing. He finished the program, finished the 6 month outpatient and was going to AA. He (knock on wood) had never got a DUI but his reputation at work where he is a driver was shot. It took him the last year to get it back. I have been attending AlAnon meetings every few weeks as time allowed.

Then the last week in July, while I was away visiting family he fell off the wagon. Bad news. Said he could get back on. Can't. Told him that he either gets into detox or he needs to find a place to live. That shook him up. I gave him a big duffel. He packed and left this a.m. There wasn't any work and he came back. I told him he wasn't allowed here and he needed to call his family members and see if they had a bed for him OR find a bed at detox.

I just got a call from my son that they had a bed, the insurance was approved and they are on their way.

I stood my ground. Thank you AlAnon. Now my next decision is about my marriage of 24 years. In his drunken haze he kept yelling that he wanted a divorce. And of course when he sobers up says he doesn't mean it. I am at at point now that the divorce would be the right thing. I am tired of dealing with all of this. I need to relax and have more control in my life.

I know it is a case of " physician heal thyself", but if you are strong enough, leave him! The biggest regret I have is returning. I spent 6 months crammed in a grotty little room with my 15 year old twins, but I can't remember when I last felt so much at peace and stress free! It was knowing that there wouldn't be an abusive drunk staggering through the door! Really liberating! Finally I relented for the sake of the kids and the dogs. I am nearly 50 and have made too many fresh starts. I am tired. I do feel cheated out of what should have been the best years of my life!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsH View Post
I know it is a case of " physician heal thyself", but if you are strong enough, leave him! The biggest regret I have is returning. I spent 6 months crammed in a grotty little room with my 15 year old twins, but I can't remember when I last felt so much at peace and stress free! It was knowing that there wouldn't be an abusive drunk staggering through the door! Really liberating! Finally I relented for the sake of the kids and the dogs. I am nearly 50 and have made too many fresh starts. I am tired. I do feel cheated out of what should have been the best years of my life!
I am 53 and feel the same way. I am angry at myself for, like yourself, getting cheated. I am tired, too. I should be enjoying my marriage, life and kids not fighting with a alcoholic about how drunk he is. My AH is in detox now and will probably be home in 4 days or so. Right now the house is peaceful. This is how it should be all the time. I love my house, my neighbors but I will have to sell to gain the freedom I need. A nice garden apartment, small home rental and I would be very happy.