Notices

Some meeting advice please!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some meeting advice please!

I found a beginners meeting for Friday night RIGHT near my neighborhood. Some of my neighbors attend the church in fact. Has anyone ran into someone they know (unexpectedly) at a meeting? Should I find one further from home? I like how close it is though. Ugh. I really feel like I could use some face to face support. Any advice? Am I overthinking this? I am pretty good at that. Here I go worrying about what other people think again! So so so silly.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't go to AA meetings, but I think you should do whatever it takes to get and stay sober.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is very common for newcomers to feel that way. Part of the reason for the anonymity in AA is to give newcomers a sense of privacy. I found that the more people that knew I was in AA, the more free I felt. It may take time, but eventually most AAs get to a point where remaining anonymous with folks they know really isnt a concern. If you are getting a lot from the meeting it is probably worth a bit of temporary embarrassment.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why would you be embarrassed?...Anybody you might run into is there for the same reason you are....To make your life better....I don't see anything shameful about that.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Most people in AA are loath to mention AA, and someone else’s name in the same sentence, when a non AA member is in earshot. The word Annonomous is in the title for a reason.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by SheWanders View Post
I found a beginners meeting for Friday night RIGHT near my neighborhood. Some of my neighbors attend the church in fact. Has anyone ran into someone they know (unexpectedly) at a meeting? Should I find one further from home? I like how close it is though. Ugh. I really feel like I could use some face to face support. Any advice? Am I overthinking this? I am pretty good at that. Here I go worrying about what other people think again! So so so silly.
I have run into many people that I know from work at a meeting, and you know what they do? They just smile and say hello and carry on with whatever it is they're supposed to be doing. Because we're all in the meeting for the same reason. Don't worry, we all think about this in the beginning. Eventually you won't care who sees you or what they think. Here is one of my favorite quotes: "What other people think about me, is none of my business!"
Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If this is a problem for you... relax. Go to a meeting in another town, get comfortable in AA, then you will instinctively know how to handle it when you see someone you know, and you may decide to stay close to home... or, you may not! Don't sweat it, do what you need to do.

BTW, if it hasn't already been said... Who you see at AA is almost always there for the same reason!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree w sapling....if you do see someone u know you'll both be there for the same reason. Beginner meetings are awesome but if the thought of seeing someone u know will prevent u from going, go to another city. It's strange but once people get talking at meetings, even before they start, a lot of people look familiar to me...guess because we are going or have gone thru the same thing. Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and advice. I am gonna continue to overthink this (it's what I DO) but I do feel a teensy bit less anxious about the idea.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I was scared of running into people I know at the meetings and I saw some people I knew but we are all there for the same purpose. At one meeting I saw one of my therapists and she ran up to me and gave me a big hug. Dont overthink it so much I know its scary at first but you can do it.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

There's a chapter in the book Alcoholics Anonymous called "Into Action"

We just don't have a chapter called "Into Thinking"

hmmmmm!?!!!!

I suggest you getchurbutt to the meetin' and save your life.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good deal , all totally good advice.

And yea We all overthink , that part of our disease. In the beginning I would just lay awake at night or during the day and just come up with 100's possiblities to questions ... And after whatever happend that was suppose to happen , I would say why do I do that to myself.

Takes time , bring the body and the mind will follow. Just make sure you go to a meeting. All the rest will just go the way its supposed to.

I even ran into a judge that sentenced own of my dui's at a meeting.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

At my 2nd AA meeting I ran into 6 people I knew
3 were customers...3 ex lovers...and they were there for
the same reason I was....to get help with active alcoholism.

It simply was no big deal for any of us. It was not mentioned
outside of the rooms as far as I know.

I was never ashamed when others watched me drink
I refused to be ashamed about my quest for sobreity.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh my!! A therapist, a judge, customers and ex lovers!!! Y'all just made me laugh and feel silly for being so self conscious. So glad I asked this question and didn't suffer silently :-)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome to the world of silly people, although sober we sure can have fun . Specially reflecting on our wacked out thinking.

So glad you found this site, please come back after the meeting and let us know how it went.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
At my 2nd AA meeting I ran into 6 people I knew
3 were customers...3 ex lovers...and they were there for
the same reason I was....to get help with active alcoholism.

It simply was no big deal for any of us. It was not mentioned
outside of the rooms as far as I know.

Yeah, I'm at a point now where I dont really care if people "out" me. What other people think/say about me is none of my damn business. Lol. I've told most of my co-workers and my entire family so I really could care less who else finds out now.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Ditto to CarolD