Notices

Son of a sober alcoholic

Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son of a sober alcoholic

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and my name is Toronto93! I am not an addict, but the son of a mother who've had problems with a chemical addiction, I hope that is ok!

My mom have been sober for about more than a year I think (yeah!), though I am still trying to repair some damages that have occured such as anxiety and depression, and I joined because I wanted to share and recieve thoughts and experiences with other people. I believe it's good for everyone!

My grandfather was a periodic alcoholic and my mother was sort of a periodic/weekend drinker. She have tried to quit drinking before bur turned to the bottle when I was about 11 years old, and I was too young to understand what happened, but today she is sober.

Take care everyone! And all you people on here who fight with addictions and everything that comes to that, you are in my thoughts.

/Toronto93
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Toronto:

Welcome.

I'm glad to hear that your mom is sober and your desire to repair your relationship with her. If you scroll down the forum board, you'll find a place for Family and Friends, which you might find helpful:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

and/or

Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You don't say how old you are. My son is 22 and my drinking started to really impact his life and our relationship when he was about 16. I stopped drinking last year and he was really proud of me and we did start to rebuild our relationship. Unfortunately, I started drinking again when my mom died and he was concerned about how much I was drinking and I have now stopped again. He's concerned now in a very caring and loving way and no longer angry with me because now he knows I am really trying.

Your mom is lucky to have a loving son like you. I hope you find the guidance and answers you are looking for and that you and your mom can share great times together!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Toronto!

They call addiction a "family disease" as it affects not only the person with the problem, but those who are close to and love that person. I think it's great that you want to know more and share with others going through the same thing.

We're glad to have you with us!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome fellow Torontonian !
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlimSlim View Post
Toronto:

Welcome.

I'm glad to hear that your mom is sober and your desire to repair your relationship with her. If you scroll down the forum board, you'll find a place for Family and Friends, which you might find helpful:

You don't say how old you are. My son is 22 and my drinking started to really impact his life and our relationship when he was about 16. I stopped drinking last year and he was really proud of me and we did start to rebuild our relationship. Unfortunately, I started drinking again when my mom died and he was concerned about how much I was drinking and I have now stopped again. He's concerned now in a very caring and loving way and no longer angry with me because now he knows I am really trying.

Your mom is lucky to have a loving son like you. I hope you find the guidance and answers you are looking for and that you and your mom can share great times together!

Thank you for your reply! I am 19 years old.
Thank you! I try my best to love her and forgive my parents, and I think I have, though sometimes the anxiety and anger can come back, but I have to think logical and try to look past it, and this week have been incredibly good actually! My mom is supporting me a lot (and so is my dad), and we have never talked this much for years!

I wish you the best Slimslim, it's good that your son is not angry at you!

Thank you everyone for welcoming me!

Though, I am sad to dissappoint you but I am actually not from Toronto, haha.
I am from Sweden, but I am interested in Canada and want to go there some day!

I will check out the other forum sections as well!

Thank you!
/Toronto93