My cousin's alcoholism

Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My cousin's alcoholism

My cousin has been a heavy drinker for a long time, and probably been an alcoholic for around the same time. She probably had the alcoholic genes from both sides of her family.c The older members of my family have taken her to clinics and she mostly thought she was there for her bulimia. Now that it has gotten really bad(they're making it seem as if she won't be around for much longer), they tried to get her to go to a really good rehab, but she ran out when she realized that it was an intervention and has pretty much said that she thinks they're a joke and that they're making fun of her, but all we want is to help her. They keep saying that her cheeks are puffy, that she looks unhealthy, and that she barely resembles her twin sister anymore. I know that it's sad but they have pretty much resorted to saying at least we tried, they're saying that she might die soon. The intervention guy said that we can't agree to see her until she goes to rehab, but he said we should text her, so we have been. I don't wanna see my cousin die, but they have been making it pretty obvious that she won't be around for much longer. What I'm trying to ask is, how long do we have to get her to rehab according to her appearance and her near-delusion thinking? She won't go to the doctor so we don't know actually know, but any information could help.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

I'm sorry about your cousin's condition.
We are not allowed to give out medical advise on this forum. I would not be able to tell you how long she has, infact, a doctor trained in addiction would only be able to give you an estimated time frame.

If she gets help today, the withdrawals from alcohol may kill her.

Have you considered attending Al-anon meetings for face-to-face support in your community? Alanon meetings are based on the same 12 steps as Alcholics Anonymous but tailored to for the family and friends of the alcoholic. You will find information and support at the meetings,, as well as here at SR.