Notices

Hope to newcomers

Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Hope to newcomers

Just because you quit drinking it doesnt mean your life has to stop. Since Ive quit drinking my depression has lifted and I have met some wonderful new friends in AA who are sober and let me tell you we have so much fun together and I never thought I could have fun without a drink in my hand but you can. There is light at the end of the tunnel just hang on you can get through this.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I've been thinking the same thing.....thinking of the things I used to post here about 4 years ago. I don't even recognize myself in those posts. I really was a piece of work.

Getting sober wasn't easy. Gradually, as I took the steps with the help of my sponsor, my thinking began to change. I was eventually able to get off my anti-depressants. (BTW, I was over 3 years sober and I did it WITH my doctor. Do not go off meds on your own!!)

Yes, there is hope. It takes some work and will require you to do some thing you most likely don't really want to do but the pay off is huge.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for that! I was so afraid my life would be boring that I kept drinking for many years after it was no longer fun. Being foggy, stupid, and numb is the ultimate in boring. Why did I not see it long ago?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was really scared about change - my life was pretty crappy but it was mine and it was all I knew...

I wasn't sure that there was a better life for me and pretty much didn't feel I deserved better anyway...

but I kept at it, because people here assured me things got better....and they did.
I had to work for it, but they really did

I'm happy for the first time in my adult life, I'm content with who I am, and I wake up every morning looking forward to the day.

That alone is worth it's weight in gold

D