Notices

Feeling torn

Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling torn

Hey all,
Good news...still making it through day 2 AND I picked up my new car after work ) However, driving home I was thinking "Oh I should get some wine to celebrate". And thought "NO, YOU SHOULD DRIVE AROUND TO CELEBRATE". Anyway, I came straight home and I want to go to a meeting in a half hour but I am afraid to leave the house in fear I will end up at the liquor store instead. I hate my weakness right now and I just don't know what to do so I am here, posting and hoping this craving passes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't do it! The craving will pass. Don't dwell on it though. Find something to distract yourself with. Could you offer to give someone a lift to the meeting so you can't go to the liquor store? x
Old 08-06-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope the craving will pass for you. Try and eat something. I just had a craving and ate some food. I feel better now.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Posting here has helped all of us get by. Go to the meeting with no stops, no excuses!!!!

I do not know how young or old you are, or what physical shape you are in, but it can help ease cravings to drop and do push ups and sit ups if you can, anything aerobic as long as you are used to that kind of thing. Also don't hesitate to go to an ER if things get tough.

On edit just noticed the time and you already went I hope. Did you go? If so how did it go?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

quit - those old habits die very hard. It's such a part of our lives for so long - a way to celebrate and reward ourselves. We know where it leads, what it's capable of, why we can't keep falling back on it. Glad you have resisted so far - you must keep going on your path.

Congratulations on your second day sober. It will get easier, you will get stronger and more determined as you go along. Enjoy that new car, driving soberly around with a clear head!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Enjoy the new car! It will feel nice to be able to drive whenever you want to without worrying about getting arrested!

Can you find a daytime meeting so you don't have to go out at night if that's a time that's difficult for you?

Posting here and riding it out is a good plan
Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your responses I did end up going to the meeting, score!! Drove right past the liquor store and felt proud of myself. Was really nervous but of course there were nice people there who welcomed me. I got a coin which was cool hehe And it was a great meeting with a speaker who has 23 years sober. I related to so much of what he said and the craving decreased as I became more enthralled in what he was saying. I am feeling quite emotionally spent right now but so glad I made it through the day sober. Onto day 3.....couldn't wait to get on here and tell you all I made a good choice...and I drove around for awhile after enjoying my new car
Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations, quitforme! I'm coming up on two weeks and I can verify that it really does get better as time goes on. I hope that you gain confidence in your recovery as time goes and that you find some inner peace. And riding around in some new wheels is pretty sweet, too.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

cool beans!! i used to get them fears,too. there wasnt any way to get to a meeting without passing a bar i drank at. it would bring on that fear. i leanred that i was powerless over them thoughts comin into my head, but i wasnt powerless over my actions. it really did get easier. i still drive by them bars, but now i can say to myself,"yeah, i remember being in there...gettin hammered as the world passed by. dont want that misery today."
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh and Itchy I am 33 and in pretty good shape because I like to run (ironic that I've been poisoning my body huh?). Exercise has always been great to help with cravings in the past...thanks for the reminder
Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

YW!
Good on you for getting through to the meeting.