Notices

Hold on tightly – we are in for a ride

Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hold on tightly – we are in for a ride

My last post described a very successful Friday night. Saturday was filled with pride and happiness. We took a drive to visit family, and I stared out the window admiring the beautiful (although partially poached) rolling hills and I was very much aware of the peace and happiness that I felt. I have been longing for that peace.

Then on Sunday, I rode to the bottom of the coaster. My middle child is an 18 year old boy. I love this child, and he loves me, but he can get under my skin like no one else. He said something to me that cut to the bone. I couldn’t shake it off. That knot inside stayed with me the entire evening. I was inexcusably rude to the rest of my family. I didn’t sleep well.

But I made it to day 14.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have a child but it can be rough at times. Just need to learn how to deal with it. You have to enjoy the highs and lows in life if you want to be happy!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 14 days, Benice.

No matter what the issue, alcohol only makes it worse. Keep going!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

That knot will be easier to deal with and let go as your sobriety continues. Congratulations on 2 weeks!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Benice:

Boys can be incredibly cruel to their mothers at that age and for the next few years. They definitely know how to push buttons, and it can be really hard if they have been affected by a substance abuse problem. It's even worse if you are a single parent. I think a lot of it has to do with cutting the apron strings and finding their male identity. Even so, it does not take away the sting of some of the things young adult males say to mothers.

One of the things that I find so confusing about family relationships is that often times we say/treat family members in negative ways that we would never dream of doing to friends, co-workers or strangers. Even if we are testing their love or loyalty, it still does not make it right.

As adults, we're supposed to know how to handle our emotions, but sometimes the blows "cut to the bone" and we respond emotionally. Hopefully, you'll find a quiet moment to apologize for your rudeness.

You were tested and you passed the test by not drinking, so congrats on holding to your resolve with another day of sobriety.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Life is not all ups. Congrats to you for riding it out and making it to another day, sober.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

No matter what the issue, alcohol only makes it worse. Keep going!
It never all peaces and cream, its what you do in those times that build your foundation.Well done on not drinking over it. And congrats on your time.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome job! Its times like these that can test everything we have. Like you said so well, we just have to hold on tight and pray. The next, day, minute or year is bound to get better. It is already better based on your decision on how to cope.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Ups and downs still happen, it's how we deal with them that counts.