Notices

New to Group

Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Group

I found this site while looking up information about when to cut ties with family and somehow I found this site, which is exactly what I needed.

This month marks my 4th year of being clean and sober. No alcohol or meds for me thru the hardest part of my life...watching my daughter struggle with addiction and then losing her to it almost 3 years ago.

I am an adult child of an alcoholic and abusive father as well. And my mother was also abusive in her own ways. She continually went back to him over and over again until she died in front of me when I was 13 from a heart attack.

The loss of my daughter has opened my eyes to what addiction really is. Her addiction started and I became the biggest advocate against drugs, learning as much as I could and trying to understand her addiction and help her, saved my own life, but I couldn't save hers.

I joined here to be with others who understand how hard the road of recovery can be. My family of origin is not healthy for me to be around at this time. So for now I am choosing to keep my distance from them.

I have been doing a lot of soul searching since my daughter died and have grown a lot, realizing that the cycle of abuse/codenpendency/enmeshment in my family continues within our sibling relationships and I need time to clear the fog. Get healthy for me, and realize that sometimes those people harm my recovery so they don't get to be part of it.

I appreciate all that I have read on here so far. Very empowering and informative posts.

Looking forward to reading some positive things on here and gaining more knowledge and understanding.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR aries.Glad you are here.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Aries. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. We have a friends and family section on this website, as well as a grief section - maybe posting there would help you, too?

Congratulations on being in your 4th sober year. That's fantastic - I can't wait to get where you are. If your family are making your recovery more difficult, I'd say that you're better off doing it without them for the time being.

Looking forward to having you on the boards. SR is full of experienced, supportive people who are very willing to help. All the best to you x
Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Aries. You story is moving and I wish you peace as you grow in your understanding. You have found a wonderful community of people here. I encourage you to connect with us in the days and weeks ahead.

Continued best wishes to you.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss Aries - but I'm glad you've found us...
Welcome

D
Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am also sorry for your loss Aries. I too, lost a family member to addiction. Glad you have found us, and hope we can help you as you move to a better place.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Aries

I'm so sorry for all that you have been through *Hugs* x

Check out the Friends and Family forums too x
Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Big Hugs to you

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Aries! You will find much support here. I wish you peace and light today.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

So glad to have you apart of the SR community.

Prayers for your girl sorry for your lose.