Notices

a new day

Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a new day

It's so nice to wake up without a hangover. I am anxious about changing my life but more so excited. My friends invited me to go wine tasting & I declined. Told them I won't be drinking anymore & the responses I got were "ok". That wasn't too hard. I really need to network & build friendships based on sobriety & meaningful life activities. I'm figuring aa will help me find that. I'm still really upset over my weekend behavior but know the only way I can prevent it from happening again is to not drink. Going to a meeting today & going to keep busy by weeding the yard. These first few days are always most difficult for me....so glad sr is here.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i wish you the very best. all my past activities centered around drinking...its been 2.5 years and i have found a whole new world of people who actually dont drink every single time they go out. eating out is better, its a lot cheaper, and like you said...the beauty of no hangover!! its a much better life. God bless!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome !

You have the right attitude !
Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's amazing how little people care about whether you drink or not. Very few have had an issue and called me boring, etc etc, but I pay no attention to this because not drinking has made my life far from boring. Making sober friends and spending time doing sober activities is key to recovery, I think - we can't isolate ourselves (which we all seem very good at) if we want a fulfilling, sober life. Finding activities that are pleasurable to us is essential - we need to get a buzz from something else once we no longer get it from alcohol. I've found that baking has really helped me - I get so much pleasure out of seeing something pretty and tasty and knowing that I've made it, and the actual baking part is incredibly therapeutic... no room for error, so you have to fully concentrate! I'm not a hugely social person (I like to be alone and have mainly solitary hobbies) but since I've been sober I've been trying to make more of an effort to establish friendships that do not revolve around alcohol... it'll happen, quitforme, with a little perseverance, and I'm sure AA will help you with that. For now, though, focus on being sober. Things tend to fall into place over time... remember that not everything will be perfect straight away. And don't dwell on the weekend, you can't change the past. You can change who you are right now in this present moment though - you can be the person you want to be RIGHT NOW. All the best to you and keep posting, we're here for you if you need us.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone & well put Mrsking...I am very good at isolating & also enjoy doing things alone. However, I also know that if I don't find ways to fill my time w healthy activities I will only separate myself from reality & want to give in to the drink. You're right about the weekend...very sad I may have lost a good friend but I can't change what happened just start fresh today. I know these horrible feelings w lessen w time but want to keep them close enough right now so that I remember how bad my problem has become. Thanks again all...will be seeing u in the threads