Notices

Lost

Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost

I don't know where to start. I know I'm looking for support.

I'm looking for people who understand. I've read some posts here and feel like I'm not alone. I hate drinking. But I do it anyways. I start drinking I think because I feel I want to be around people and have a "good time". But I never stop until I physically can't drink anymore. I don't like who I am when I'm drunk.

Whatever it's called, it's a problem for me. It's causing problems in my day to day life.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome !

Good news - you don't have to drink ever again !

It took me a few tries, but sober life is so much better...
Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Gilberto

I felt like I was drinking under duress for the last few years of my drinking. I didn't want to do it but I couldn't stop myself. You've come for a really good place for support. Have you ever tried to get help for your drinking before? x
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 08-04-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Have you ever tried to get help for your drinking before? x
No... I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Today just felt like it has to be the last straw. Since my first post, I've found a meeting tomorrow night at a church 6 blocks from me.

I did quit cold turkey several years back. And it lasted for a period of a couple years. I didn't even keep track. However, it required me to break off contact with everyone I knew. I wasn't drinking but I was very lonely.

I have a good idea what's ahead of me. People that I need to get out of my life. I need to find positive replacements.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You're definitely not alone here. We're all here for a reason and so we can probably relate to a lot of what you're feeling/doing and have felt/done. Being sober doesn't mean that you have to be lonely. I've cut a lot of things out of my life due to not finding them entertaining any more but because I'm now sober and happy I've been able to rekindle relationships that mean something... I may not have as many 'friends' now, but the ones I have aren't entirely focused on alcohol. I hope things go well for you this time and I wish you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Gilberto.

I think a successful recovery has two phases - one is not drinking/drugging...the other is finding a way to be happy about that

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-04-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gilberto. We all understand, most of us have felt that way. We drink to have fun, relax, feel social - but then it ends up having the opposite effect. You'll feel much better when you kick it out of your life. Glad you found us - please keep posting.