Notices

Feeling GREAT on this Saturday!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling GREAT on this Saturday!

Today is day 6 for me. So yesterday was my first Friday since quitting and I am so glad I didn't drink. Instead I learned how to make cheesecake and it came out pretty good.

I just wanted to share that today I woke up feeling awesome. Got up at nine, walked the dog to the lake behind my house and watched him swim for a bit and chase the ducks (I have a Labrador), came home and gave him and bath, did 2 loads of clothes, plus did some effective [speed] cleaning in the house. These are all things that NEVER would have gotten done if I had drank.

Now I am off to work. It feels good being accomplished, but it feels even better to be SOBER! Thanks so much SR!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome I am glad you feel so good so fast.

And it sure is a beautiful saturday. I hope you are looking into programs to help you stay and learn to live sober. I am a proud member of AA and wouldnt be here without it.

Good love, Inda
Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations I'm glad you're feeling great. I found that sobriety brought me all those things too... I was suddenly motivated to DO things that needed doing.

Since being sober I have also taken up cooking/baking as my hobby - I find it wonderful!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I meant to add, hello fellow houstonian. I grew up in The Woodlands. Great AA scene you got down there.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday mornings are my favourite time of the week
Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ain't that the truth

Saturday, Sunday - pretty much any day of the week with a Y in it. I feel so good when I can get up and not worry about when I need to have a drink to stop the shakes......

Sobriety has its distinct advantages.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
I meant to add, hello fellow houstonian. I grew up in The Woodlands. Great AA scene you got down there.
Well, I am from houston [SW side to be exact]... But I have been living elsewhere (Dont want to say) in Texas for the past 3 years. About 5 years ago I started *thinking* that maybe I had an issue with alcohol, and I did attend a couple of meetings over there, but nothing really stuck. I was about 19 at that time, which also might have been why it was so easy to convince myself that I was just acting normal for my age, even though there were blaring signs that it wasnt the case.

I am still learning what AA is about, through this website, mostly. I was so clueless in the past though, I never even knew the difference between an open or closed meeting. I used to think closed meetings were for special people who had somehow, through superiority gained a special chair and there was a list that you had to get your name on to get in. VIP or something haha.

I really miss houston because I remember going to a couple of candle light services at midnight back then. There is pretty much a meeting you can attend no matter what part of town you are in, and at all hours of the day. I live in a smaller city now and it's really not as available, but then again nothing is (at least not in the way that a big city has it).

Anyway, lately I have been not really going with just ONE program, but taking things here and there that a like from multiple programs. There are things I like and dislike about AA. I really like the fellowship, but along with that comes social bs which is unavoidable. I also have trouble with the HP thing because I am still very undeveloped on my spiritual path right now, though I would pretty much consider myself agnostic. I really like certain aspects of AVRT but I don't like how you're not supposed to go to AA if you follow that program. I understand the reasoning behind it, but some people need the support of others and knowing that they weren't the only individuals in 'said' situation with 'said' problem that did 'said' things helps a lot of people. I know it helps me. Aside from that I am also kinda going with my own program as in, I am developing routines that make me feel good, I've been working out and taking care of what I eat, and I have a very supportive husband so I consider myself very blessed.

Thanks for chiming in guys, Saturday felt good for me because even though I would drink every night, I would go all out on Friday.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats, goldi, nice chatting with you tonight!

I also consider myself to be agnostic. I have decided that AA is not for me, in large part because of the emphasis places on HP. I haven't decided whether I need another program or counseling but things are okay for now.

Continued best wishes in your recovery!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Blue! It was nice chatting with you too, hope to see you in there more often.

If I were you id start researching multiple programs-- well thats what i am doing. And just go into reading about it with an open mind and take only what benefits you personally and leave the rest. I think no one single program is perfect, nor is one single program going to fit my needs completely in it's entirety, but they all have a unique way of going about things that can help us to learn if we approach it with an open heart.

Best wishes to you too!